Brisket Box practice

I'm aware of what kind of contest it is....I've done quite a few. Anyone that takes a box to a KCBS judging table and expects not be judged on garnish or the neatness of their box is foolish. Sight before taste, and as long as it's done that way, cbj's will judge on garnish, lid smudges, putting greens or leaf lettuce, etc. Whether or not they mean to judge on those things is beside the point, it just happens.

I don't want to hijack this thread or start another P'ing contest but do you really add/subtract points based on the type of garnish?

I don't want to hijack this thread or start another P'ing contest but do you really add/subtract points based on the type of garnish?

Consciously, NO, but sub-consciously I think every judge has a presentation factor built into their scoring criteria. It's human nature. Otherwise, "putting green" boxes wouldn't be so highly preferred. Teams get better scores with them, the numbers prove it.

Page 10 of the CBJ certification packet: "Each judge will first score all the samples for appearance."

Type of garnish=type of appearance.

...with a little explanation that'd be of some help (some of the problems are obvious).
DSCF01343.jpg

I am sure some of the comments will be obvious, but will include them.

The slices are not uniform, and as I try and judge the meat, it is a distraction.

I do not think his placement of the burnt ends highlighted them well. You might suggest he think of placing all in front or back...or make your slices smaller and then run on each side. Uniformity here will will help.

If you are going to garnish, fill the box. Let the meat rest on it so it accentuates it, not a small amount that peaks out and cuts off in certain places.

I've been to the pickled pig forum (it's great) but I was just looking for someone else on my team to take some responsability for some things. I'm figuring out that there is gonna be a 2 hour window of madness on Saturday afternoons during turn-in. I think its hard for some people to have a sense of pride if they don't have anything invested in it. BTW.. he read this thread this morning, he doesn't wanna play anymore, he said he'd come visit.

Hope the runner to the turn in table didn't break his leg when he fell.

I just noticed a really funny thing in this picture... in the upper left hand corner.. you can see a roll of paper towels next to the box. How hard would it have been to grab one and wipe the box off. Oh well.. first comp is coming up in a couple weeks and I'll see I end up doing without much help. I notice that some people go on thier own, but I'm assuming they are experienced. I'm gonna have a good time no matter what, that's what its all about anyway. BTW someone said it looked dry in an earlier post.. I agree that it looked that way in the picture, but I assure you it was not. I asked my buddy why he put the tore piece up front and he said he wanted to show how tender it was :doh:

does this buddy of yours help with other things (in a useful way)? He doesnt have to do the boxes necessarily... I only say this because going alone is not easy, and not nearly as much fun. Can he cook? Can he mule water and do the setup/teardown of the site? Just keep the boy away from the boxes... :razz:

I just noticed a really funny thing in this picture... in the upper left hand corner.. you can see a roll of paper towels next to the box. How hard would it have been to grab one and wipe the box off. Oh well.. first comp is coming up in a couple weeks and I'll see I end up doing without much help. I notice that some people go on thier own, but I'm assuming they are experienced. I'm gonna have a good time no matter what, that's what its all about anyway. BTW someone said it looked dry in an earlier post.. I agree that it looked that way in the picture, but I assure you it was not. I asked my buddy why he put the tore piece up front and he said he wanted to show how tender it was :doh:

If your goal is to go at it alone...then by all means...go ahead and do it...If you could find someone to help you it would be better for you..,Just stay very organized if you do go at it alone..it will help you come turn in time!!! :thumb:

> the overwhelming lack of uniformity is what seals its fate.

Good summary. Uneven thickness of slices, and some are put fatcap up, others
fatcap down. Then they're not arranged evenly whatsoever. Smudges everywhere,
including on the top of the box, and honestly you haven't even transported it to the
judging tent year (transportation tends to rough things up a tad). Burnt Ends put
in there hap hazard and are uneven sizes, etc. There are meat flakes in the box.
Even the garnish hurts in this case because it's hap hazard. 5 if I'm feeling generous.
Honestly, it's not appetizing. If this were a restaurant it's obvious that a rookie
is working the back and appears to have been VERY rushed. Remember, it's a
competition, a cooking competition, where you have 1 and only 1 chance at a first
impression. Make it count. Look at cooking shows if you have to and see plate
presentation. Not that they're working on barbecue, but you get an idea of the
attention to detail.

Assuming the meat was dead on perfect in every way, the box itself probably took
you from 1st place to 5th or 6th or worse (depending on the size of the comp).

I suggest getting a lot of box pics together and discuss the merits of each with
these guys. Get pics of good boxes and bad boxes. Heck, get 8 or 10 and set
them side by side, then you be the judge. Look at what's appetizing and what isn't.
Dont include yours in the mix. Look completely objectively. You'll come away with
an idea of what you want.

I think you hit the nail in the head... you allowed 10 minutes to box... I cook a few contests over a year. I can do everything during a comp blindfolded. Especially boxing. I start my brisket at 1:15 for a 1:30 turn in. I allow myself 17 minutes, because I use until 1:35... I think you might allow morevthan 10 minutes and clean up everything in the box luck you will do much better. Tell your friend to come out. This is reality and a bunch of big money in contest cooking. Teams just can't be lazy and not watch the finer details. I know I do not. Probably why its painful for me to get a 7. I do notbturn in 7:d, but that's why it's 'judged'and not given.

Good luck. Get more practice. Slice the entire brisket when it's hot. Good practice. Clean knife after every slice. Clean your cutting board and get those crumbs and pieces off. Be anal.

Good luck!

That's too bad your friend doesn't want to do it anymore. I'd ask him if he wouldn't mind coming out and just giving you a hand and being there to provide support. Just having someone there to get you a paper towel, fresh knife, spray bottle, etc is a huge help.

Back