Brisket and Bologna on the silverbac - Live!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey folks! Well it wouldn't be me if I didn't do a live thread on this!

So I made a post getting some info about smoking a bologna... Took all of your advice! Found out that this brand is actually a West Virginia brand.. No wonder I've only seen this brand locally.

Started with a 10lb log of Cavalier deli style Bologna
wrHfgVyl.jpg

Cut this beauty in half.. I'll Straight up admit I figured this would be a pain in the butt to prepare with the mustard slather and all.. But believe it or not it wasn't that bad.. it only required a very small amount of mustard.. wasn't as messy as I thought it would be. Did a cross cut pattern in the Bologna

Y8WPmSul.jpg

Of course here's the brisket.. Just seasoned with Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Onion powder. Gonna be goood!

bcQR5NCl.jpg

Is it normal for me to look at a brisket and bologna cook and be more interested in the bologna? Have been wanting to try this for some time. I am putting a brisket on tonight. What are the chances I might can find a stick of bologna? What rub on the bologna?

Is it normal for me to look at a brisket and bologna cook and be more interested in the bologna? Have been wanting to try this for some time. I am putting a brisket on tonight. What are the chances I might can find a stick of bologna? What rub on the bologna?

Well honestly... I don't blame you about being more interested in bologna.. I have smoked "real" BBQ (not grilling) for 5 years now.. A log of bologna has never touched my grates... Neither has Spam (going to soon)...

I say just about any store has chubs of bologna.. If your looking for Cheap its easy to find Bar-S bologna.. Which probably is not the greatest.. But believe me I've ate my fair share of Bar-S bologna when times are tough. If you have money.. Just go to the Deli counter and ask for one.. I wanted to get a log of Wunderbar Beef but coming as deli slices they are $6/lb.. not sure if it would be cheaper to buy a whole thing??? no clue.

I go to a local "cash saver" store.. they still have a meat department.. not exactly a butcher but they still process whole primal cuts and grind their own burger and such. So they also supply this Cavalier brand.. it was only like $2.99/lb

Edit: Caught myself Rambling on forgot to answer the big question.. What rub?... Weber Original Dry Smoking Rub.. That stuff is like gold around here! I have everyone that has eaten my BBQ in the past 6 months raving about the rub.. It's not the best for sure.. But its the best I can buy at walmart.. which is the only store that has a rub selection

So its been roughly 3 hrs on the brisket.. Looking real good!

dVR5UDRl.jpg

The bologna has been on for roughly 2 hrs.. I'm going to pull it at the 3 - 3 1/2 hr mark.. Try to get some extra color.. It's already got a good smoke ring from the looks of it..

Now the only thing I'll say about this.. The Crossing pattern looks pretty good, and provides much more surface area for smoke/seasoning... But holy cow these things look like they will just be "fun" to slice... yes sarcasm lol

1bqZBkil.jpg

Is it normal for me to look at a brisket and bologna cook and be more interested in the bologna? ...

I'd like to say no it isn't normal, but if you ask my grandkids they say smoked bologna rules over brisket... not sure I agree personally...

Well here's an update! I just bought a new freakin thermometer.. thank god it was a cheapish bastard.. still just under $20... It just took a dive... Doesn't work.. think water got into it while cleaning.. don't have packaging or receipt or I'd take it back. OH WELL!... Looks like I'm using my knowledge on cooking this brisket.. I know when its done.. but I always temp before wrapping..

Here's the Bologna.. Looks good, Smells even better!

tC5EGIel.jpg

Alrighty then! So I delivered 2 slices each to 4 guys.. They slammed it! Loved it! Well That was almost a good 1/2 of a chub.. so I decided.. to get another 1/2 of a log.. Just threw it on the smoker with the brisket..

Briskets been on for about 6 hrs.. its above 165it... This time for the bologna.. I just did long strips about 1-2" apart.. hopefully it makes good for slicing..

PhVg0xVl.jpg

Ok Chub Number 3... I cooked this one with Oak Ridge dominator rub.. I assume I am scoring it too deep.. which is why the first one with the criss cross was hard to cut.. But I like just cutting straight lines.. it seems like it will be an easier cut.

x9VaaDpl.jpg

I decided when I pulled chub 3 out. I would check the brisket.. No thermometer so no clue how much I over cooked this thing.. But a bamboo skewer went in like butter.. and this is the most I've seen a brisket jiggle.. So... I hope its just right!

OhWeWK8l.jpg

Looking good there.
I have no way of knowing what a smoked Bologna would taste like, but I would sure try it

Alrighty so I snapped a few extra photo's.. Hope you all are doing well.. Figured I'd do a good cook for you all to show I'm still kickin!

Not to shabby here for a brisket..

Zlm7RrEl.jpg

Now for the main course.. we had Smoked fried bologna on toasted bun, lettuce, tomato, white American cheese, and Mayo... with a side of fries!

G8hJTNcl.jpg

Alrighty so I snapped a few extra photo's.. Hope you all are doing well.. Figured I'd do a good cook for you all to show I'm still kickin!

Zlm7RrEl.jpg

Now for the main course.. we had Smoked fried bologna on toasted bun, lettuce, tomato, white American cheese, and Mayo... with a side of fries!

G8hJTNcl.jpg
What No Ketchup, sorry couldn't resist. Looks amazing. Everyone likes bologna here and we have several local options just need to pull the trigger. Until now never thought about slicing it. Wonder if an electic knife would make it easier. Great job!

Thanks to Oscar Meyer we all can spell B O L O G N A
Ed

LOL.. I still can't spell bologna... I botch it every single time I write it haha!

So here we are.. the day after.. I smoked 15lbs of bologna.. 10lbs of it went to the freezer.. I did a lot of thinking.. I figured one thick slice was enough for a good meaty sandwich.. So it was a smart idea to package 2 slices per pack.. that way we can just thaw as we wanna eat it instead of worrying about what we do with the slices we didn't eat at the time of thawing.

I got 21 packages.. so that's 42 sandwiches! I won't be going hungry any time soon..

Awskpsnl.jpg

Now that I've finished this thread.. Here's a teaser of what's coming tomorrow.... Can you guess what it is gonna be? :thumb:

39fy0K1l.jpg

That all looks great. Hard to beat brisket, but that Okie Ribeye sandwich is lookin' pretty strong.

But you better bring that china back before my wife figures it out.

Back