Brining question - I wanna add some booze

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Hopefully I will be brining a whole chicken this weekend. Hoping because it depends on whether my order of Game Changer arrives or not.

However, I would like to some American Honey to the brine to add to the flavour profile. Does anyone have a suggestion on how much to add? And I assume I should cut the water by the amount of booze I add, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Personally, I think it's a waste of good hooch. I would suggest that if you're planning on using BBQ Sauce to add a tiny amount to the sauce and let that carry the flavor over. Plus, if it's in the sauce, and the sauce is on-the-side, the other folks eating your Q that dont like the hooch flavor in the BBQ dont have to have it... Just a thought.

I mean, I LOVE bourbon; I drink it straight up; neat or on the rocks, in coke, etc. But, honestly, IMHO, it SUCKS on BBQ. Just my $0.02. I sure wouldnt waste good bourbon by putting it in a brine solution. If I were just hell bent to get that flavor on my Q, I'd put it in the sauce...

<--- that above from a guy who always does Patron shots [for the entire team, and in MBN the team gets quite large] before every category (whether blind turn-in or on-site). But, not IN BBQ... Nasty, IMHO. and a complete waste of good hooch.

I mean, I LOVE bourbon; I drink it straight up; neat or on the rocks, in coke, etc. But, honestly, IMHO, it SUCKS on BBQ. Just my $0.02. I sure wouldnt waste good bourbon by putting it in a brine solution. If I were just hell bent to get that flavor on my Q, I'd put it in the sauce...

<--- that above from a guy who always does Patron shots [for the entire team, and in MBN the team gets quite large] before every category (whether blind turn-in or on-site). But, not IN BBQ... Nasty, IMHO. and a complete waste of good hooch.

I'm thinking there's the answer you need right there.

It may actually dry out the meat, think of the de-icer you pour into a gas tank.
Many years ago I marinated some really nice rib eyes in a red wine the flavor from the wine was fine, but the meat was tough and dry, never did that again.

Ignore the critics. Wines & spirits have been used in marinades for centuries. For interest check out the link below (it also leads to other links).

http://www.food.com/recipe/bourbon-marinade-93773

Also I do not hold high any comments from anyone who cooks a steak to well done - a well done steak has lost some of its essential moisture. Just to balance that a rare steak hasn't developed its flavour from the caramelisation - I go for medium rare!!!!!

Back