Bring on your Sloppy Joe recipes

Wayne, if your going to add beans I would probably add a can or 2 of bushes baked beans.
That way you have sweet and beans.
My go to heat is liquid habenaro instead of that red hot pepper sauce.

Wayne, if your going to add beans I would probably add a can or 2 of bushes baked beans.
That way you have sweet and beans.
My go to heat is liquid habenaro instead of that red hot pepper sauce.

I think I will pass on the beans this time, but do plan on sorting through the list of adders that were new to me and using some. I'll keep track of the modified recipe and follow up with the taste test.

The cabbage actually sweetens and flavors. Plus it really increases the methane level, which could be good or bad. I'd say good with welders.

Sloppy Joes for 75 people

Fits in 18 quart electric roaster
When I made this last the ingred were $43.00

20 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 head celery diced
3 green peppers diced
9 onions diced
48 oz. catsup
66 oz. tomato sauce
27 oz. tomato paste
3/8 cup worcestershire
4 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp red wine vinger
9 oz. mustard
1 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tsp pepper
salt

Brown beef and drain. transfer to roaster.
Saute onion,celery,grn. pepper in large skillet.
Combine all ingred in roaster.
When adding salt add 1 tbsp at a time until you like.
Cook in roaster on low several hours. Stir often

Thanks for that super sized recipe, that will help when bumping mine up. I'll be making a large batch, most likely in my big Nesco, then pulling enough for 36 sammies and will freeze the rest. I'll be starting with 12 or 15 pounds of beef.

This turned out very good and was a big hit today... I went with Mrs ~t~'s green chili technique of roasting the meat with the dry spices on top. Here are a couple of photos of the meat....

DSC06541JPGa.jpg

DSC06544JPGa.jpg

Here is the final recipe I wound up with. Sorry, no pron....I was too busy getting everything set up and ready. Thanks again everybody for all the suggestions to add to my now defunct recipe.

thirdeye's Sloppy Joes

10 lb. ground beef

Dry Ingredients:
2 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp kosher salt
5 tbsp granulated garlic

Fresh Ingredients:
5 stalks of celery diced
2 green peppers diced
4 onions diced

Sauce Base:
1 cup catsup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 - 6oz cans tomato paste
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup spicy mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1 can beef broth (start with 1/2 can, reserve the remainder and add later if needed)

Place beef in roasting pan(s) and sprinkle all dry ingredients on top and brown in a 375° oven for about 1/2 hour. Saute celery, green peppers and onions in Nesco roaster or large stew pot. Combine all the sauce base ingredients in a large bowl and blend.

Add the browned beef and some of the pan drippings to the roaster with the sautéed veggies. Add the sauce base. Mix well and cook at 275° for a couple of hours. Add the reserved beef broth if needed for the consistency you are after.

Your receipe sounds great! If I ever need to make them for that many people.

Well the good side with something like this is that it freezes very well. I put a couple of scoops into shallow plastic bowls, freeze and then pop them out and vacuum seal. Excellent for taking to work and reheating in the micro. No matter how old you are, having sloppy joes for lunch flashes you right back to the 6th grade. :biggrin:

Simple here ...

Beef
A bunch of ketchup
A bit of yellow mustard (French's!)
A healthy splash of wooster

Back