Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Brick City BBQ & Blues - Mexico MO, June 18-19

I've never meet any of you guys, but I plan to come by Friday evening as a spectator. Look forward to meeting some of the people from here.

I've never meet any of you guys, but I plan to come by Friday evening as a spectator. Look forward to meeting some of the people from here.

Come on by our trailer, it will be the white one with two idiots outside checking the magic 8 ball on what to do.

Or we will be the one feeding Kick the beer and keeping Sweet T distracted while we get out all of his recipes.

Come on by our trailer, it will be the white one with two idiots outside checking the magic 8 ball on what to do.

Or we will be the one feeding Kick the beer and keeping Sweet T distracted while we get out all of his recipes.
I resemble that last remark.....:clap2: Though T says she's not easily distracted!

you'll know our trailer...it's the one advertising the Brethren site on the doors....and watch for the Brethren banners....

Best of luck to all the brethren in Mexico tomorrow. i'll see you there! Just look for the black and gold spicewine and say "hi". Gary... don't forget to stop by for your complimentary six pack of beer I have waiting for ya!! :)

Getting coolers packed now and heading up shortly with the new toy hauler (new to me anyway). Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to meeting as many new brethren as possible. Please feel free to stop by and say hi as well.

Congrats to Gilley's Barnstorm BBQ on the GC and One 2 BBQ on the RGC!

The Bellys were 6th overall...14th in chicken, 5th in ribs, 5th in pork and 3rd in brisket. The weather was wonderful..(NOT)...I am happy with the brisket placing...I don't know that I've ever experienced the meat drying out that fast after slicing, and the streak of perfect 9's in presentation came to an end (the 4 previous contests). Five 8s and one 9 this time around....one 9 more than I would have given it..LOL....

Speaking of judging...and derailing this thread....you sure can tell the difference between contests that have KC/KS area/central MO judges and ST.L./IL area/central MO judges....overall points difference will be about 20 points different about every time. It seems so strange the difference between one side of the state and the other...makes you wonder if it has something to do with the classes themselves and how they are trained...oh well....just me thinking out loud again....it is what it is....

Congrats to all that walked this weekend! And it was nice meeting new Brethren brothers, hope to see you again soon!

I had a great time meeting many of you this weekend, but am terrible with names until I get a chance to speak with you a couple of times. I am just hard headed like that it seems.

Had the pleasure of enjoying many firsts this weekend. This was my first KCBS comp, first time out with my 26' Hobbi and first call on brisket (4th). A first for my son Hayden as well since he won his first Kids Q. Yeay for Hayden!

All in all it was a very good weekend out and a great experience. A few of us had to be towed out of the grass/mud to the pavement in order to on our way, but Jon Oliver and company stuck with us and did a great job all weekend!

It was nice meeting several of you guys Friday evening, hope to make it to a few more of these events this summer.

Speaking of judging...and derailing this thread....you sure can tell the difference between contests that have KC/KS area/central MO judges and ST.L./IL area/central MO judges....overall points difference will be about 20 points different about every time. It seems so strange the difference between one side of the state and the other...makes you wonder if it has something to do with the classes themselves and how they are trained...oh well....just me thinking out loud again....it is what it is....

Mr Kick. I judged this contest and this is an interesting observation. The reason I say its interesting is because I thought most of the Judges were from the Central part of Mo. I know there were several from the Columbia area. I'm from Illinois and I only seen 4 others that I recognized that I presume are from the St. Louis Area. These were the only judges that I have seen at other contest this year and this was my 6th contest.
Which side of the state judges higher. I presume the KC area.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the way were taught or what. I do know there are a number of variations in the way judges judge. As I have learned from talking to other judges.
There are also differences in the way a REP does contest. I seen the REP this weekend do some things I have never seen before. But I guess, each do it there on way just like judges.

Good luck to you in futures contest.

Mr Kick. I judged this contest and this is an interesting observation. The reason I say its interesting is because I thought most of the Judges were from the Central part of Mo. I know there were several from the Columbia area. I'm from Illinois and I only seen 4 others that I recognized that I presume are from the St. Louis Area. These were the only judges that I have seen at other contest this year and this was my 6th contest.
Which side of the state judges higher. I presume the KC area.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the way were taught or what. I do know there are a number of variations in the way judges judge. As I have learned from talking to other judges.
There are also differences in the way a REP does contest. I seen the REP this weekend do some things I have never seen before. But I guess, each do it there on way just like judges.

Good luck to you in futures contest.

Just going by what I was told by one of the Central MOFO judges....he said he only recognized 5 from the area, which led me to assume the rest was from the east side of the state....interesting....very interesting....
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer!

What a great ran event. Blazin' Blues will be next year for sure. Congrats to everyone who got a call or placed

Had a great time. I just assumed they were all central Mo judges. You never know, according to the KCBS site it was 100% certified.

Would love to do it again next year.

Does anyone know the name of the band that played friday night? They were great!

OK, got setup with Photobucket to share some photos from this comp. Eventually, I will be posting these from my own website that I am currently updating to add my bbq team website.

2007 26' Hobbi...
IMG_0904.jpg

True Family BBQ setup ...
IMG_0902.jpg

True Family BBQ setup #2 ...
IMG_0901.jpg

WSMs with my CyberQ ...
IMG_0898.jpg

Hayden making presentation boxes while I cooked bacon ...
IMG_0894.jpg

I was one of the judges for the kids Q. Your sons burger was very good. Congrats to him and sorry I did not get down to talk with you friday night. I am interested in getting me a weber cooker and was wanting to ask you some questions. But I got distracted. Maybe next time. keith

The Blues Deville Band

Does anyone know the name of the band that played friday night? They were great!

We are called the Blues Deville Band and have been playing at the Brick City BBQ and Blues for three years now.

We are located in Central MO so we can make it just about anywhere in the state to play. We'd love to be invited to play more cook offs. We always have a blast.

Thank you to all of you who came out in Mexico and had a good time.

If you ever need to get hold of us you can obviously now reach me here or on Facebook at "The Blues Deville Band" or at www.bluesdevilleband.net or email me at info@bluesdevilleband.net

I am very much an amateur with the BBQ but Jon Oliver has been teaching me however, it isn't likely I would ever be brave enough to compete so I'll just stick to playing the guitar :)

Sincerely,

Kyle Caraway
Blues Deville Band Founder

I'll put a plug in for you....these guys are awesome! Being a musician with over 40 years of stage experience, these guys know what they are doing and are a value at any price. I've worked with the bass player years ago, so it was like old home week.

Back