Brethren Brisket

B

BrooklynQ

It's hard to argue with Mr. Goode's sucess, but how would the brethren cook a brisket differently ? Fat cap up? Inject? Slather? Finish Temp? Wrap etc? Let's hear it boys.

This recipe comes from the great book, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book by Robb Walsh.

Jim Goode's "Plugged Brisket"

Packer's cut (untrimmed) USDA Select beef brisket, 8 to 10 pounds
3 cloves garlic - peeled
1 cup Jim Goode's Beef Rub
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cups Jim Goode's Barbeque Mop

On the lean side fo the brisket, you'll find some pieces of hard fat. Remove some with a knife, cut it into 1/4 slices, then cut the slices into square plugs about one inch long. Make about 12 of these plugs. Cut the garlic cloves into thin slivers.

In a mixing bowl, combine the plugs and garlic slivers with a few tablespoons of the rub and the olive oil, and turn with a spatula to mix well.

With a paring knife, make 1-inch deep slits on the lean side of the brisket at regualr intervals. Widen the hole with your finger and force a fat plug and 2 slivers of garlic into it. Force them deep or they will pop out during the cooking. Repeat to use up all the plugs and slivers. Season the brisket with the remaining dry rub, pressing the spice mix into the meat. Wrap the brisket in plastic wrap or a freezer bag and refrigerate overnight.

Set up your smoker for indirect heat with a water pan. Use wood chips, chunks or logs and keep up a good level of smoke. Maintain a temperature between 210 and 250 degrees. Place the brisket in the smoker, as far from the hear source as possible. Map every 30 minutes, rotating the brisket to cook it evenly, keeping the fat side up at all times. Add charcoal and or wood every hour or so to keep the fire burning evenly. The meat is done when a thermometer reads 185 degrees at the thick end or when a probe goes through with a little reisitance.

Serves 10 to 12.

Seems to me that this method would leave pockets in the brisket that would not look good in slices. It might be ok for home but IMO not good in comp.

What we do: Get a good quality brisket, salt, pepper,Heffer Dust, smoke 4 hours, wrap, take to 200 internal, cooler, put back on, set up bark 1-1.5 hrs., pull, rest, slice ,lightly sauce with Blue Colar BBQ Sauce and present.

Last 3 contests: 1st. Place, 2nd Place, 2nd Place

spicewine said:
Seems to me that this method would leave pockets in the brisket that would not look good in slices. It might be ok for home but IMO not good in comp.

What we do: Get a good quality brisket, salt, pepper,Heffer Dust, smoke 4 hours, wrap, take to 200 internal, cooler, put back on, set up bark 1-1.5 hrs., pull, rest, slice ,lightly sauce with Blue Colar BBQ Sauce and present.

Last 3 contests: 1st. Place, 2nd Place, 2nd Place

How long in total time does that average out to be?

350* for 5 hours.. foil , hour in cooler... slice.. you're in heaven

I have this book, and in no way is it geared to anything close to competition.

I have often wondered about plugging a brisket.

I highly suggest this book.

Great read. Great bathroom read. Short stories, lots of info.

This book explores authentic Texas and old way cooking.

Love the pictures too.

Nice post Rob. Its all about personal tradtion and the origins of some of the Texas greats, long before such a thing as KCBS

willkat98 said:
I have this book, and in no way is it geared to anything close to competition.

Nice post Rob. Its all about personal tradtion and the origins of some of the Texas greats, long before such a thing as KCBS

I would say that most things I turn in for competition I don't cook at home or for others. Comp. cooking is alot diff. than what I cook for everyone's enjoyment.

I have found many of the better books have no focus on comp. at all.... and turn out some amazing foods. Some books like Willinghams however are very much about comp. and are great too.... hmmmm. guess it is hard to do a really bad BBQ book come to think about it.

HoDeDo said:
I have found many of the better books have no focus on comp. at all.... and turn out some amazing foods. Some books like Willinghams however are very much about comp. and are great too.... hmmmm. guess it is hard to do a really bad BBQ book come to think about it.

And I like Steven Raichlen books.

Some would argue he doesn't "barbecue", but grills.

But some of those recipes are good/adaptable to strech the cooking time to 230* versus some of the 300* stuff he does on BBQ University.

He is simply hitting the bigger market of grillers than smokers, just like the new farking Kingsford

Some would argue he doesn't "barbecue", but grills. He is simply hitting the bigger market of grillers than smokers, just like the new farking Kingsford

That would be me. I would be more forgiving of the "grilling university" format if his show wasn't on PBS. I thought that was the point of public television programming, not to have to hit a broad demographic.

C'mon Steven, move those smokers outta the background and use 'em.

As for K'ford, they just found a way to put less charcoal in the bag and charge more for it, yes I read the report, I'll agree my leg is wet, but I don't think that's rain:shock: :evil:

Back