Breaking in the red Weber kettle - tri tip with Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I picked up one of the new red "limited edition" Weber kettle grills and thought I'd do a tri tip to christen it. I still had my free sample of Weber briquettes so what better time to use them when taking a new Weber grill on its maiden voyage.

This tri tip is one of the Sam's Club "angus" hunks-o-meat. I wasn't sure what I wanted to rub it with, then I saw my bag of Carne Crusta in the cabinet and decided to roll with that.

I cooked it indirect at 325* for about half an hour with one chunk of pecan for a kick of smoke flavor until it was 120ish internal temp. I pulled it from the grill, opened the vents and intake up, and got it to a little over 400*. I seared it direct for a few minutes per side, then grilled up some asparagus with salt and pepper.

The Carne Crusta was great on the tri tip, love the hint of coffee that poked through. I'll have to try their Santa Maria style sometime.

Last edited:
Very nice looking dinner. Picked up a couple of Ribeye's and Asparagus to cook on the kettle tomorrow night, going to season with Carne Crosta and reverse sear, the Asparagus I like to wrap an individual serving of spears with 2 pieces of Bacon (so good).

Great looking kettle & tri tip. Love carne crosta. My personal preference for tt is the santa maria & carne crosta.

Way to break in the new kettle. TT looks on point and I'm right there with you on the Carne Crosta.

Back