THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow that’s an awesome pit. Enjoy smoking on her 👍😁

I had THE best experience of my entire bbq'ing venture smoking on this pit. It was just amazing how much fun it is to cook on this bad boy. I had a damn bon fire going in this thing and it still took over an hour for the metal to heat up, after that it cruised at 250 with maybe a 3 degree swing when adding the fuel. I couldn't believe how easy and even this cooked. I am mighty jealous for sure and I want my own now lol.

That's a great question. I have no clue if he meets or needs to meet this NSF standard. First I have heard of it. Any idea what this means exactly? Thanks for the heads up.

I can 100% guarantee that this smoker is not NSF certified...so this means that in MANY areas you won't LEGALLY be allowed to use it to sell food to the public.

If you look at most of the restaurant equipment you get from Restaurant Depot or Webstaurant store (or similar) just about everything has a small NSF stamp or engraving on it. It means it has been certified to be made of certain anti-microbial materials which will be more food safe than other types of materials. That NSF rating also increases the price of every piece of equipment with that rating on it. A pair of cheap tongs = $2, a pair of tongs with an NSF label on it = $12.

Whoever is trying to open the business needs to read the food code in your state and COUNTY...MOST places require an NSF smoker, but some will allow for a variance as long as the smoker has stainless steel racks, and is fully enclosed / screened in. Others will only allow for NSF smokers which kind of relegates you to the Ole Hickory / Southern Pride, Fast Eddy's Cookshacks type smokers...and the NSF versions of those smokers are quite expensive.

I can 100% guarantee that this smoker is not NSF certified...so this means that in MANY areas you won't LEGALLY be allowed to use it to sell food to the public.

If you look at most of the restaurant equipment you get from Restaurant Depot or Webstaurant store (or similar) just about everything has a small NSF stamp or engraving on it. It means it has been certified to be made of certain anti-microbial materials which will be more food safe than other types of materials. That NSF rating also increases the price of every piece of equipment with that rating on it. A pair of cheap tongs = $2, a pair of tongs with an NSF label on it = $12.

Whoever is trying to open the business needs to read the food code in your state and COUNTY...MOST places require an NSF smoker, but some will allow for a variance as long as the smoker has stainless steel racks, and is fully enclosed / screened in. Others will only allow for NSF smokers which kind of relegates you to the Ole Hickory / Southern Pride, Fast Eddy's Cookshacks type smokers...and the NSF versions of those smokers are quite expensive.

All his cooking grates are SS, and when you say enclosed/screened in. Do you mean the cooker itself or that the cooker needs to be in an enclosed building?

All his cooking grates are SS, and when you say enclosed/screened in. Do you mean the cooker itself or that the cooker needs to be in an enclosed building?

It really depends on city / county, but in my area for a tow-behind trailer they would want the whole trailer to basically be under a tent, and for the tent to have sidewalls made of screens to keep the flies / pests away. My smoker is on the porch of my trailer and I have to have the entire porch screened off because they consider it an "extended kitchen."

It all depends on the food code, and how that's implemented in your area.

It really depends on city / county, but in my area for a tow-behind trailer they would want the whole trailer to basically be under a tent, and for the tent to have sidewalls made of screens to keep the flies / pests away. My smoker is on the porch of my trailer and I have to have the entire porch screened off because they consider it an "extended kitchen."

It all depends on the food code, and how that's implemented in your area.

I see, thanks for the information. I'll make sure to pass it along to my buddy.

Back