Boston Roast on a ECB... Have a few questions

Well Im gunna shoot for putting it on at 7.

Heres my ECB.

2011-04-16_20-02-38_544.jpg

Pan and charcoal pan

2011-04-16_20-03-31_334.jpg

Smoker complete.

Do you think this is to much coal? Not enough?

2011-04-16_20-09-02_686.jpg

Wow nice work on the mods, what are you using for the new bottom? Should give you much better air flow control than stock!

I usually had to top up my ECB with extra coal during the cook as the temps would start to fall. If its as airtight as it looks like it is you can reuse any leftover coals too, just seal it up when you're done and let the fire go out.

The mods arent my creation... I copied hamiltont's ECB. Its a lava rock pan from a Brinkmann Electric smoker. I drilled the holes for the legs and that was about it. The lid however I bought an oven gasket and used the pins that were already in the gasket to fasten it to the lid... We'll see how it goes. I havent used the lid in the current configuration yet. Also since last session, I added the pipe plugs. I used electrical box covers before. They worked alright, but I think this might be a bit better. Im still not sure If I want to make a Mini UDS Coal basket or not. Also, I lava rock pan was silver already. I shot it with some header paint I had left over from painting my AR barrel, But Im thinking I should just get some gloss black. Or maybe just do the Brinkmann up in silver.

So Ive learned few things this am...My lid mounted thermometer is off by about 70 degrees. Also, Charcoal Chimmneys are amazing and i used about 16 coals of RO for the minion method. I think I should have used 20 or maybe brought my sand pan in the house overnight to warm up. all in all its working ok so far. Im at 230 degrees and the butt went on about 15 min ago. So im a little behind schedule. These vents work fairly good though.

It's looking good so far. I bet that sand did get quite cool overnight. That's part of the reason I like to use water in my pan. It is a little more work to clean up, but adding boiling hot water brings the temp up a lot quicker.

I also agree with you about the charcoal chimney. It's hands down the best grill accessory I've ever bought.

2011-04-17_17-06-28_801.jpg

All in all everything went pretty good... It stalled at 173 then dropped down to 172 for about 45 min. Then it started going back up almost as rapidly as when it first was put on.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

THAT is some fine lookin pork butt right there!
NICE JOB!!!

ECB cookers unite!!!:heh::thumb:

Took about 10 hours... I did have to refuel though. It was very windy on my patio yesterday. I probally could have put another 5 lbs of fuel in the pan and it would have been fine. I am able to choke out the coals when I close all the vents. It took about an hour but it worked. So Im guessing this is fairly air tight. I do need a ball valve though It was running a bit oh the hot side, Lid thermometer said 200 but as I discovered before the grate temp is actually about 280

Back