Bo's BBQ Hot Dog Cart

The way it was explained to me, by a straight faced Health Dept. Employee. 'Monday thru Friday on City Street or Storefront locations you can only sell Hot Dogs and Sausage products, bought precooked and reheatable by steam. No Cooking on site at the above locations. At special events, whatever the Special Event decided was appropriate.' So I asked, "What about street or storfrefront locations on Saturday or Sunday?' To which this heath department answer man said,"Oh, the Health Dept. Inspectors don't work on the weekend, or holidays either." Nothing else was said, I left...

Sometimes I think all these licenses and inspections and all this crap (over 1,200 bucks for this cart) exist so that evryone can get a piece of the pie. I mean if this moron as much as tells me to sell what I want on the weekends, what's the darn purpose of the inspection, except to divy up the pie...

We have done a couple cooks at my meat purveyors storefront. They are a wholesale distributor with a small kitchen and retail meat case. He has to get a special event permit for us to do this for some reason. As good as it seems, the HD makes it a pita.

Great looking Cart/Buisness Best of luck to you!

$1200 to get inspected lic. That just sucks! I go to other countries (Mexico, Caribean, Phillipines, China) they sell food all over the place no inspections and I have survived them all!

So do they like your weenies?:becky:
Can't you see the smile on Miss AZ's face?
$1200 to get inspected lic. That just sucks!!
That is a total of the State and City Business Licenses (for a total of three); County Health Permits, registration; insurance required; bond with the city; required signage; and some other crap I can't remember without more coffee...:mad2:

While we call those licenses in CA, I think of them as taxes. I don't think they really care about the public safety, it is all process and taxes.

I see her smiling, but, I see no wienie, nor do I see your left hand now that I look at the picture.

Nice photo's BO. I was wondering how you were going with this venture. Good to see that things are working out!

Cheers!

Bill

Bo, you got a great looking cart and I'd be confident in saying your living a dream that most of us would want even though Im sure it has its tedious aspects. Just keep in mind, as Im sure your do, that those inspectors have differing opinions and you might run into a different guy who might want to turn the screws on you. Best wishes in your venture and may you reap the fruits of your time and efforts.

Back