Boondoggle Takes a Walk

Thanks, it was great to hear our name called after zero in our first 3 comps. Don prepped and cooked the brisket, so the Gator got another call.

After a scare from threatening weather early Friday evening, it turned out to be a great weekend. Met some good people (Modelmaker, sorry about being in a hurry Saturday) and tasted some good beers

Not a problem, never get in the way during box prep or teardown. We'll meet down the road and have a more relaxed beer and chit chat.
Did you take pics of boxes? Gonna share?
ModelMaker

As requested, here's the pics and scores:
ck 999 967 888 888 868 656 - 154.2854 16th - (1st 169.1430)
ri 976 977 977 889 787 776 - 149.7142 21st - (1st 166.8572)
pk 989 878 888 778 877 767 - 153.1426 21st - (1st 170.2856)
br 778 988 989 967 988 766 - 154.8568 10th - (1st 170.2856)

Comments welcome, especially for pork. I wanted to add some slices, but when I tried slicing it fell apart. Other than needing a better knife, I also needed to pull it off earlier.

Attachments

• indych2sm.JPG
    indych2sm.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 30
  • indyrib2sm.JPG
    indyrib2sm.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 31
  • indypork2sm.JPG
    indypork2sm.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 30
  • indybrk2sm.JPG
    indybrk2sm.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 31
Well, you saw my boxes. I personally don't like seeing a mass of gray pork like that. I'd cover it with a bit of sauce, like you saw me do. That's just me.

Chicken and ribs look just about right, IMHO.

The brisket looks sauced, which I don't think looks as good. Again, that's me. Try saucing the back side of the slices, so your flavor is there, but leave the fronts natural. Put some of the juice from your foil over the front of the slices like I did at Kearney. Will give you shine and moisture that you want. Just what I would do. Doesn't make it right or wrong.

Well never saw one of your boxes at our table!! I see the sucker score was really out of line. Just to let you know there were "Celebrity/Sponser"
judges 4 that I know of. One was at our table and we kept a good watch on him and it sounded like he wasn't too far out there.

Chicken as a whole were the best samples my table has ever judged all 5 were top notch.
Ribs were a disapointment. 1 with a lot of loin was underdone, 1 was so overdone it fell apart before it hit the judges plate 3 were ok,1 was PERFECT,999. a rare occurence from this judge.
Pork (hint) do not serve pulled pork with a ice cream scoop!!! One was scary not sure if it was safe to eat ( didn't die yet).
Brisket, our sponser judge was from Texas and thought the offerings were of high caliber. Most were.
Bobby, your boxes?
Chicken- strong 8/ weak 9
Ribs - weak 9 The more you can make those look like 1 pc. the better
Pork - 9 dead on, not a fan of saucy, give me pork flavor
Brisket - weak 9 only distraction is crumb looks at top.
ModelMaker

All in all I thought the scores for the chicken and pork were right on for what I turned in - other than the 656 and the 999 on chicken. I probably would have scored it a 987.

Ribs, we know those needed to cook longer. The tenderness was not there.

Pork, I'm not sure what I need to do in the future. Some people say sauce, others say they want to taste the pork. I mixed in the natural juices with some Blues Hog and mixed it in with what I turned in. The scores are not bad (didn't have to use a 6), but they weren't great.

Brisket, we knew this was our best shot at a call. It pulled apart real nice with little effort but not falling apart, actually surprised tenderness wasn't at least 8's across (maybe slightly overcooking is key). Tasted good and had decent bark and ring. It was coated with natural juices, I think that pic made it look more shiny then it actually was.

Back to the pork. I cooked pork overnight on the Party and took it off before putting on the chicken at 10:00. I foiled at 170 and at 9:30 I took off the smoker at 192 - I double wrapped and put inside the cooler with the brisket to hold. As soon as the chicken was in route to the judges, I took the pork out of the cooler, opened the foil (on the top) and put it back in the smoker. I wanted to see what that did to the bark. I think it got it a bit too dark. I also wish I would have probed it to see how hot it got while holding. Next time, I'm going to leave a probe in so I can monitor while it holds.

The question is, if I'm holding for 2.5-3 hours in a cooler, what temp do you all advise taking off the smoker? I wanted to turn in some sliced, but as I tried to slice, it fell apart.

I also need to work on chicken taste. At this point I'm happy with my process for appearance now, but 1/2 of the judges gave me a 6 or lower on taste. Fab C might be getting ordered today.

The sauce drizzle has been a huge thing for us. Judges do want to taste pork. Too much sauce is an instant killer in our experience. We drizzle a little sauce for taste, but not enough that it masks the pork taste. It should be enough to accent and not overpower.

Back