Boneless Pork Butt 4-140 Am I Screwed?

WBDubya

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bryan
So I wasn’t thinking (it’s been awhile since I smoked a butt) and bought the boneless 2 pack from Costco. I probed from the beginning (mistake number 1?) and started the smoke at 200 degrees at 11 pm. After 8 hours I cranked it up to 220. Still waiting to get to 190 after 13 hours. Looking at the graph it looks like to took a over 6 hours to hit the 140 mark. Should I abandon the cook? How did I not know about the 4-140 rule? Noob. :(

908124e8f19ffb16069469a3fffec00a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy that cooks brisket at 200. It has to take more than 6 hours to get to 140.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry too much. Probing early in the cook kind of worries me personally but not the time issue you mention. People have cooked low and slow forever. Never had an issue cooking low myself.

After researching some more it looks like the rule is way more important cooling down after the cook than on the ramp up. Appreciate the Brethren’s help!

I was following Malcom Reed’s Recipe/site How to BBQ Right. He has a great mobile app. Turned out great, everyone loved it.

Before I got my pellet grill, I always cooked around 300+ or - 20 degrees and could get a butt done in 8-10 hours. Now that I can hold lower temps consistently, the last butt I did took 15 hours and change. Lower is slooowwwer.

After researching some more it looks like the rule is way more important cooling down after the cook than on the ramp up. Appreciate the Brethren’s help!

I don't think there's a problem with the butt in this post. But this statement makes no sense. Once it's cooked all the pathogenic bacteria have been killed. Cooling down won't likely introduce new pathogens from the air. The rule is much more important on heating up. But as mentioned, pathogens would be on the outside for the most part. Not likely having a botulism issue with a pork butt.

I was thinking the same thing, why so low, and slow, then I saw he was using a pellet cooker. Guess that's the best way to get decent smoke flavor. Hot and fast for me...

I was thinking the same thing, why so low, and slow, then I saw he was using a pellet cooker. Guess that's the best way to get decent smoke flavor. Hot and fast for me...

I usually start off the first two hours on smoke setting (usually 180F) then crank it up to 275F for the rest of the cook.

Back