Blues Hogs or Not?

I don't use the Blues Hog original by itself. I mix it with the Tenessee red. I use 2/3c Original and 1/3c Tenessee red. It still has some sweetness to it, but not as much as the original straight.

I got some Ten. Red but haven't tried it yet. Is BH original pretty popular in comps?

Blues Hog is pretty darn good. I find my wife using it and my own recipe equally. We’ve also liked Big Butz. We like to put Big Butz on grilled food as it has some smoke flavoring in it. IMO, smoked food doesn’t need a smoky BBQ sauce.

A better man could let the previous posts go without response but I found Dr. BBQ’s Big Time BBQ sauce not to my liking whatsoever. The mustard and thyme was overwhelming. I understand that there are different strokes for different folks.

I’ll offset my negative recipe opinion with a positive. I find Chris Lilly’s Championship Red sauce to be excellent. So good in fact, I plan on taking elements of it to alter my sauce so the wifey quits grabbing the Blues Hog 50% of the time!

I got some Ten. Red but haven't tried it yet. Is BH original pretty popular in comps?

I dont know that you can go to a KCBS competition of any size and not have at least one ribs entry and one chicken entry come across sauced with BH Original only.

It's a bit sweet for me, but of any sauce nearly that sweet, it's head and shoulders above anything I've tested. I use it mixed my my personal sauce and some Tenn Red on most all pork.

Keep in mind BH Original tastes ENTIRELY different after it takes on some heat and smoke. That still doesn't mean I would recommend it. :razz:

Back