Blue smoke question

A couple weeks ago, I was looking out the window and thought I saw way too much smoke coming out of the WSM like a grate full of chicken on a kettle dripping fat on the coals, when I got out there a minute or 2 later it was just a nice wispy smoke, why does glass make your smoke look like there is so much more? Or is that the real look and when you get close it's the illusion?

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago, I was looking out the window and thought I saw way too much smoke coming out of the WSM like a grate full of chicken on a kettle dripping fat on the coals, when I got out there a minute or 2 later it was just a nice wispy smoke, why does glass make your smoke look like there is so much more? Or is that the real look and when you get close it's the illusion?

Because your windows need cleaning? lol

I was taught to really dry out your wood before use. I have been throwing logs in my warmer box on my Lang. Is this needed? The wood is already seasoned.
If you pre-heat the wood, it will help you get the "good" smoke, and not the "bad". It will also help your temp to stabilize quicker because you're putting warm wood in the firebox, and not cold wood.

Back