Blown away by Weber's customer service

castlepines

is Blowin Smoke!
I saw an ad on Facebook Marketplace that someone was selling a Weber Genesis E310. He said the hinges were broken and an easy fix but he just didn't have the time for it. He was saying that the hinges just needed to be replaced. I get there and see that it's not just a hinge problem. One of the hinges snapped off on the lid while the other hinge broke off at the cook box. Part of the cook box sheared off with it. So this means the lid and cookbox both need to be replaced. Those are expensive.

I snapped a pic of the model and serial number and called Weber's customer service number that night. The reps I spoke with said both parts are covered under warranty. All I have to do is send him a couple pictures where they're broken. So I quickly go back and purchase the grill, bring it home and take the pictures and send them the next day. By this time, Weber had already created an order number and was awaiting my pictures. I emailed the pics and 10 minutes later had a response saying all was good to go. They were sending the order through and I should have it fulfilled soon. That was yesterday.

Today I get an email saying both pieces are in shipping and FedEx ground has them arriving on Tuesday. I'm blown away. For $100 I buy a used grill that needs repair and 5 days later will have brand new parts covered under warranty...no charge for the parts or shipping. Great work Weber and thanks!

Very nice! I don't remember what their warranty covers but are those parts warrantied for a long time or was the prior owner a bit rough on the equipment? Sounds like a bit more than the typical wear and tear.

Very nice! I don't remember what their warranty covers but are those parts warrantied for a long time or was the prior owner a bit rough on the equipment? Sounds like a bit more than the typical wear and tear.

10 year warranty, and I don't know how it was damaged. I didn't ask and Weber didn't ask either. They just said "It's covered" and started preparing my order.

Many companies warranty their products but only for the original owner, or require you to ship back the broken parts and/or pay for the shipping of the replacement parts. Weber covered everything and made it absolutely seamless.

10 year warranty, and I don't know how it was damaged. I didn't ask and Weber didn't ask either. They just said "It's covered" and started preparing my order.

Many companies warranty their products but only for the original owner, or require you to ship back the broken parts and/or pay for the shipping of the replacement parts. Weber covered everything and made it absolutely seamless.

Just an FYI but Weber's warranty also only applies to the original owner. But, as you are prime evidence of, that policy isn't always strictly enforced.

Any chance your one of those guys that get change for a $20 when a $10 was tendered
and giggle to yourself knowing the employee will be held accountable?
Ed

Just an FYI but Weber's warranty also only applies to the original owner. But, as you are prime evidence of, that policy isn't always strictly enforced.

I just looked it up. You're right. I have no idea why they did this. Must have been a slow day in the warranty department.

A few years ago I bought a 26" kettle for $70 brand new at HD. it was missing the cooking grate though.

I called Weber and was totally honest and was willing to spend the $90 or whatever it is for the grate.

"I cant believe they sold you a grill with no cooking grate....we'll ship you one no charge."

:clap2:

I don't follow.

Wow, I guess I never considered that. Try following this.

Your 16 year old daughter runs the cash register at (a,b,c small business) I come in and give her $20 for a $5.99 purchase and she gives you $14.01 in change. She gets her a** chewed and has to make her drawer right from her pay that day. I go on the internet and brag about how I did really well that day.

Yes, Weber does have "fantastic" customer service. It is so that their brand can continue to be one of the best and also be profitable enough to do so.
Now I understand they have many, many customers world wide. If even half of them took unfair advantage of their blindly acceptable customer service practices their profit margin as well as their customer service level may well suffer to the point of no longer being able to do it any longer.

It is important in todays society that good is pointed out and bad is called out.

Least you think I'm some angel, I'm not. Years ago I charged a $279.00 chainsaw on one of my cards for $2.79. It is no longer fixable, and every time I use that chainsaw I fully expect it to dig in and come back out and remove one of my legs.
Maybe I'm just trying to reset karma by highlighting the subject.
Ed

Wow, I guess I never considered that. Try following this.

Your 16 year old daughter runs the cash register at (a,b,c small business) I come in and give her $20 for a $5.99 purchase and she gives you $14.01 in change. She gets her a** chewed and has to make her drawer right from her pay that day. I go on the internet and brag about how I did really well that day.

Yes, Weber does have "fantastic" customer service. It is so that their brand can continue to be one of the best and also be profitable enough to do so.
Now I understand they have many, many customers world wide. If even half of them took unfair advantage of their blindly acceptable customer service practices their profit margin as well as their customer service level may well suffer to the point of no longer being able to do it any longer.

It is important in todays society that good is pointed out and bad is called out.

Least you think I'm some angel, I'm not. Years ago I charged a $279.00 chainsaw on one of my cards for $2.79. It is no longer fixable, and every time I use that chainsaw I fully expect it to dig in and come back out and remove one of my legs.
Maybe I'm just trying to reset karma by highlighting the subject.
Ed

That's actually correct change for a $5.99 purchase using $20.

Here I am talking about how Weber has exceeded my expectations in warranting their product. But in your head, you've completely made up a scenario where I've knowingly and willingly taken advantage of someone and I'm here laughing about screwing someone over while they get their ass chewed and now they have to make up the difference in their paycheck. You have made all of this up on your own and now you're calling me out...for something that never happened.

Weber didn't have to do any of what they did. But they chose to, and I'm here giving them appropriate recognition for it. No one got screwed, no one's getting chewed out, no one's losing paychecks over it and on one's delighting in screwing over someone else. So yeah, forgive me for not being able to follow a story you completely made up on your own.

I'm still amazed by Weber and still appreciate what they did for me here.

A warranty is a warranty. Weber is saying they are confident that their fireboxes won't break for 10 years. The original owner could have taken appropriate advantage of the same warranty. A lawyer may have fought this one because ownership was transferred but I don't think anyone was screwed. That they didn't just makes me more likely to buy another Weber in the future.

Early in our marriage, my wife wanted to buy me a new hammer as a gift. (I found the one I was using and it was beat up). My wife took it in, the guy scratched some rust off it and said, This is a Craftsman. Here's a new one free of charge." I still buy essentially only Craftsman hand tools (sorry, nothing with moving parts)

That's actually correct change for a $5.99 purchase using $20.

Here I am talking about how Weber has exceeded my expectations in warranting their product. But in your head, you've completely made up a scenario where I've knowingly and willingly taken advantage of someone and I'm here laughing about screwing someone over while they get their ass chewed and now they have to make up the difference in their paycheck. You have made all of this up on your own and now you're calling me out...for something that never happened.

Weber didn't have to do any of what they did. But they chose to, and I'm here giving them appropriate recognition for it. No one got screwed, no one's getting chewed out, no one's losing paychecks over it and on one's delighting in screwing over someone else. So yeah, forgive me for not being able to follow a story you completely made up on your own.

I'm still amazed by Weber and still appreciate what they did for me here.

I figure everybody knew I meant a $10 bill, my bad.
You saw a opportunity, checked it out, and sealed the deal.
I guess what I made up in my mind was incorrect sorry.
Ed

One way the hinges could have blown out was due to high winds, my friends' grill got , blown over, and busted off. But it was a Vermont Castings, no such warranty.

Can we all say ModelMaker has a great point, OP is not the original purchaser,
therefore the warranty need not be honored. Weber did it anyway, pretty cool.
Unlike the guy who lost his brand new gasser all over the road right in front of me Thursday - he's out of luck.

edit - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260048

A few years ago I bought a 26" kettle for $70 brand new at HD. it was missing the cooking grate though.

I called Weber and was totally honest and was willing to spend the $90 or whatever it is for the grate.

"I cant believe they sold you a grill with no cooking grate....we'll ship you one no charge."

:clap2:

$70? Man I'm jealous. Those bad boys are usually $300 minimum and rarely if ever go on sale. That's a steal.

Just to add to this, Weber's 5-star customer service never ends! Somehow, FedEx missed scanning the shipment when picking it up from Weber. So in their system, it showed as "awaiting package from shipper" and was like that for a few days. When I contacted Weber, they said they have no idea where it is. Fed Ex says they don't have it. Weber says they don't have it. Weber says to give it a couple days and if I haven't received it, they'll track it down.

A couple days later two large boxes arrive from FedEx....it's the lid and cook box, exactly what was ordered. At nearly the same time, Weber sends me an email saying they have no idea where the packages are or what happened to them but they are sending me 2 new ones, AND they're overnighting them for the trouble! I had to email immediately to let them know that I received the packages just moments ago and to cancel the order!

It's unbelievable. Had the packages been missing, Weber could have pointed the finger at FedEx and told me to file a claim with them and washed their hands of me. I'd be caught in limbo while both sides pointed the finger at each other. But they didn't. They didn't even wait to hear back from me to see if I even received the original. They took ownership of it and tried to make it right immediately. It wasn't needed, but still impressive! Weber has blown me away from beginning to end with this!

Back