Blowin' Through Kansas City In April

Too bad you don't have more time, Perry Foster's in Warrensburg (about 1 1/2 hours SE of KC) is great, too. Not sure where the closest Gates is, but they're all over the City. Although they might not be the best you ever had, I still think Gates and Arthur Bryant's are places that you should at least be able to tell people you've been to (and I have!).

If you want small, hole-in-the-wall real KC BBQ, then you may want to try one of these:

1) Lil' Jake's BBQ 1229 Grand Downtown KC, MO. Yes Bill, downtown Kansas City is in Missouri. Downtown Kansas City, Kansas is in Kansas across the Missouri River in Wy. Co. and is a whole different deal.
M-F Lunch only. A classic. Small dining room. Tables on the sidwalk for good days. Most get it to go. Great brisket. Check out the bathroom. Must walk through the dirty, greasy, tiny kitchen. Usually have to get one or two people to move to get through. This is the favorite Q of the downtown business set as well as just regular folks like us.

2) LC's On the east side of town near the stadiums just a mile of so off I-235. Follow the highway signs. Made popular by some KC baseball players when they used to play good baseball in KC. Small, dirty and very greasy. Last time I was there a kid was "surfing" across the floor on some french fries. I like the ribs and burnt ends here. Good beans too. Nice sized dining room and open regular hours. Well worth the stop.

I too love the small hole-in-the-wall places. They are where you can get the best grub, nationwide. Scott even knows about the cool evening place: BB's BBQ and Blues on the south side. What ever you choose, I'm sure it will be good as long as you avoid KC Masterfark, er, I mean piece. :wink:

Depending on what time you go through Columbia and/or want a pit stop I could meet you along I-70 somewhere. We're about 2 hours east of KC so it might be a good break with kids! Or if they're asleep then not! Otherwise I'll wave in the direction of the Interstate at the approximate time of your driveby
Ditto that! I am sure we could get a few of the Central MOFO cartel to meet for a drive by bash on that day. I can arrange to meet you about anytime as well as Spice and Belly2 I'm sure. And possibly Mr. Kick depending on his schedule.

Back