Blaz'n Gridiron / Yoder YS640 / Rec Tec

eleeptg

Found some matches.
Hello All,

I'm new to the forums. Currently have a Weber Bullet Smoker and looking to upgrade to a new smoker. I've tried the masterbuilt electric smokers but just can't seem to get a good smoke flavor when using it. That's when I started reading up on Pellet Grills/Smokers. I think I've narrowed it down to Blaz'n Gridiron, Yoder YS640 or the Rec Tec. I am probably opening a can of worms here but anyone out there have an opinion on which one?

I'm leaning toward Gridiron because it offers 1) insulated panels(live in NY and want to smoke in winter) 2) Stainless rolling grates which look easier to clean 3) Auger is round vs square? not sure how true that is 4) Larger Hopper size(not that 20 vs 30 will make a big difference) 5) easier to clean the firepot area.

Thoughts?

Thanks for you help/input

I'm not familiar with the Blaz'n Gridiron, but I looked through their web site and I don't see anything about insulation.

Of your current choices I would rank them this way...

Yoder
Rec Tec
Blazn'

The Yoder smokers are built like tanks and are very impressive. take a look at nucornhusker's great thread on his new Yoder...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169856

You may not want one that big but it gives you an idea of the quality.

Also, Yoder makes an insulating blanket for cold weather cooking if you want to use it. You really don't have to, but it will cut pellet consumption.

Here is a good thread on the Rec Tec from K-Barbecue...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170457

If you want other suggestions, take a look at the Memphis line of pellet grills. The higher end models are double wall construction and do very well in cold weather. I love my Memphis Pro.

I have owned two Yoders and cooked on a Blazin. I will tell you, I noticed a big difference in the smoke flavor with the Yoder vs Blazin. Ron also pointed out many of the things I would have told you also.

In regards to the firepot, the Yoder has a large well for ash to fall into, plus it will blow extra ash into the body if the cooker, so it doesn't need to be cleaned out for many many cooks. I know people like the slide out firepot in the Blazin, but when you slide it out, some ash will fall out anyway. I don't see that as a reason to buy the pit.

As Ron said the Yoder is thicker steel and has an exterior insulated jacked that covers the body as opposed to the insert in the BGW that only fits on part of the door.

I know of the research and time and work put into the Yoder controller, and it is a much better controller than the Ortech in the BGW.

I know I'm going to say Yoder because it's what I own, but when you see and Yoder, then look at the Blazin, you can easily see the difference, then you cook on them...

And Yoder has bar grates for the bottom as well.

There is zero difference in the quality if the food cooked on a Yoder at zero degrees outside and 100 degrees outside other than pellet consumption and time to come up to temp, which all grills are the same in that respect. Some pellet grills don't fare so well in cold weather and their owners will tell you than if they are honest. I've cooked a pork picnic during a blizzard in my YS640 and it cooked like a charm. Oh, and that was without the insulated jacket.

Thanks much for links and info.. I think I read through most of them already.

I actually just emailed Yoder as I wanted to see if they had Stainless grate over the steel/chrome. I've had to replace my weber grates on more than one occasion as the chrome plating came off.

The only other thing regarding the Yoder is the direct sear grates. It seems like to grill/get good searing is to remove the drip tray so that firebox can heat the grill grates directly. All great, but then it seems like drips from food would fall into the firebox and surrounding area. I guess I can line the surrounding area with foil and the firebox would burn off whatever dripped into it.

I originally was leaning toward Yoder till I saw the gridiron, but based on feedback, leaning back towards a yoder...

I don't have any of the smokers you mention but am also looking at the Cookshack Fast Eddy PG1000 or PG500 as an option for me.

Good luck!

Thanks much for links and info.. I think I read through most of them already.

I actually just emailed Yoder as I wanted to see if they had Stainless grate over the steel/chrome. I've had to replace my weber grates on more than one occasion as the chrome plating came off.

The only other thing regarding the Yoder is the direct sear grates. It seems like to grill/get good searing is to remove the drip tray so that firebox can heat the grill grates directly. All great, but then it seems like drips from food would fall into the firebox and surrounding area. I guess I can line the surrounding area with foil and the firebox would burn off whatever dripped into it.

I originally was leaning toward Yoder till I saw the gridiron, but based on feedback, leaning back towards a yoder...

You don't HAVE to remove the drip pan, but that gives the best result. The GrillGrates have small holes so some drippings may get to the bottom, but most of it is vaporized and never get below the grates. If they do get below, it vacuums up with the pellet ash. I don't think you need to foil the bottom.

The Yoder will most likely give you the most smoke flavor. I have owned:

- Cookshack Fast Eddy PG1000
- Yoder YS640
- Cookshack FEC100
- Woodmaster D1400

I currently have a Yoder YS1500 on order. I personally think the fire pot design allows for more smoke because the pellets can spread out and smolder more on the edges of the fire pot. My Woodmaster D1400 has three fire pots that are bigger than that in the YS640 or YS1500. It also puts out a steady light blue smoke where as some cookers are cyclic. I was tempted to try a Rec Tec and I know it's a good cooker. Their customer service also seems to be really good. However out of those, the YS640 is built like a tank and will produce some very tasty BBQ. It gets my vote and my second would be the Rec Tec because it has a good controller but less smoke output.

eleeptg, also to supplement smoke on no matter what smoker you decide on, you should look into the AMNTS from here, URL="http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS"]http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS[/URL]. I got one a few weeks ago and it makes a big difference in the amount of smoke.

Thanks to all for input. After a few days of reading a lot of information.. I pulled the plug and got myself a Yoder YS640 with 2nd tray .. I was going to go for the stainless but decided to hold off for now. Let's see how the chrome holds out and I can always get the stainless later. Although that other place sells custom ss grates that look nice. I didn't want to risk drilling holes myself so I had them put in two temp prob ports for me.

jtrai491 - Thx, I actually have the AMNS 5x8 tray, but the tube looks interesting

I spent hours on the sites looking at reviews. I went from Rec Tec to GMG to Mak to Yoder and then to Blaz'n. I was having a tough time and I just took the plunge!!!! I just ordered a Blaz'n Gridiron with the insulated lid insert. For my personal reasons and desires I chose this route over the other pellet smokers. In addition, I was impressed that Tim at Blaz'n took the time to answer all my questions (two phone calls on a Saturday). You could since his pride in their product. I loved my WSM but wanted a pellet smoker/grill. I hope I made a good decision!!!!

For a pellet, the Yoder is the best I have seen. Ive had my 640 for about a year now, maybe longer and have had some great meals off of it!! As others have said, best smoke flavor from pellets.

Out of the 3 Yoder is the only one that does not offer a PID controller, if that matters to anyone. They also take a average temp which may read different from your maverick. I always hear they produce the most smoke flavour and are built like tanks though.

RecTecs financing is hard to pass up. The Blazn Grill products look great but I can't get my hands physically on one to get a feel for it.

There are so many great pellet grills out there these days:

Mak
Yoder
Blain Grill Works
RecTec
Fast Eddy
Memphis

Yoder if cost not an issue; closest taste to stick offset in a pellet in my kind for the reasons stated above (burn catcher bigger broader not just a cup so more smolder)

RecTec much milder smoke flavor but great cooker... No experience with blaze'n except got his PID to plug into my camp chef and the thermometer is a few degrees off; emailed twice re what to do and no response. Blaz'n does have a clean out out but still need to vac them out intermittently anyway so wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.

Back