Bland Spare Ribs (w/ pr0n)

hogs122

Full Fledged Farker
Brethren,

I'm never happy with my ribs. To me, they're always just okay. I've got the tenderness down, but they just seem to lack the flavor I want. I can't really pinpoint what they're missing. What say you, brethren? What's your trick for great ribs?

Today's cook was a 5 pound rack of st louis cut spares. Cooked at 250 on my UDS with cherry chunks. Rubbed down with a moderate coat of Oakridge Secret Weapon and a light coat of Oakridge Dominator. (Note: It's not the rub's fault. I love both rubs on other pork that I smoke)

After 4.5ish hours, I glazed with a 50 50 mix of Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Smokey Mountain.

Flavor comes from the meat itself, the smoke, the seasoning etc.. but much of it also comes from maillard reaction and caramelization. If you gave it a little direct heat or at least more time down on a hot cooking grate the ribs will develop more of a flavorful bark. Try it and practice to get the affect to your liking.

They look pretty delicious to me. I slather mine with Valentinas hot sauce then K salt course black pepper and a little bit of sugar. They are lip smackin good, I know the ribs I cooked at the Tx bash didn't last 10 min.

Dang they look good. Not sure exactly what could be your culprit. Have your tried more rub? For me at home just some rub, smoke and a little sauce always tastes great.

What are you mopping with? also finish the sauce on a hot grill or use a torch to caramalize the sauce.
This...BUT if you don't mop it isn't necessary to have a caramelized rub. Even if you cook with no sugars the natural sugars will caramelize but you'd have to alter your cooking style.

People associate "pretty" ribs with great flavor and that's not necessarily the case.

I had the same problem. Finally figured it was un rendered fat muting all the other flavors. Tried adding ginger to my rub and it helped a little. Then started smoking at 275° and it helped a lot. Finally settled in on 300°, no foil and taking them to 180°it. Then let them rest at least a half hour. The texture is spot on and the flavor is very punchy.

If you gave it a little direct heat or at least more time down on a hot cooking grate the ribs will develop more of a flavorful bark.

I haven't tried cooking meat side down on the grate to get more of the sizzled fat flavor. I may give that a try next time.

I slather mine with Valentinas hot sauce then K salt course black pepper and a little bit of sugar.

Good idea on slathering with hot sauce. Definitely going to try that sometime soon.

Maybe need a little acid to cut the fat. Fat coats the tongue and can produce a bland affect. Vinegar/acid balances that out.
What are you mopping with? also finish the sauce on a hot grill or use a torch to caramalize the sauce.

I think you guys are onto something here. Adding a little vinegar to a spritz, mop, or finishing sauce might be the ticket.

Dang they look good. Not sure exactly what could be your culprit. Have your tried more rub? For me at home just some rub, smoke and a little sauce always tastes great.

I've tried more rub, yes. Thinking out loud here, I may hit the bare meat sides with a bit of rub after cutting to give it a little more punch.

My ribs recipe is almost the same as yours. Same rub and same sauce. The difference and it is a big one is that I use mostly hickory chunks and occasionally some apple and lots of it. I have tried cherry on several different meats and just got ho hum flavor.

How long are you leaving the rub on prior to cooking? I leave the rub on a minimum of one hour, and often four hours, which works for my palate. This allows the salt to penetrate the meat, assuming you have salt in your rub. If not, dry brine an hour ahead of time, then apply your rub.

My ribs recipe is almost the same as yours. Same rub and same sauce. The difference and it is a big one is that I use mostly hickory chunks and occasionally some apple and lots of it. I have tried cherry on several different meats and just got ho hum flavor.

I'm thinking that might be it. Most people combine cherry with another wood to give more flavor and the cherry gives the nice color. Like cheez I really like hickory on pork. Do half hickory or apple and half cherry.

Also I love Bludawg style savory ribs. The Valentina hot sauce slather works great.

Dont know if it makes a difference but I always used mustard before putting on rub. And, I added layer of turbinado sugar after the rub. My dry rub is different (dizzy pig dizzy dust) but my sauce is the same - Blues Hog with little butter mixed in. Oh and I used pecan for the wood flavor.

Have you tried buying your ribs from a different place? I have two different supermarkets in my area and the ribs are distinctly different. To me, it sounds like you got a load of flavor going on between the rub and glaze so it's hard to imagine they Are bland. Check meat quality.
Some time after noticing the difference in meat quality, I discovered that some local supermarkets have certain order of choice of meats from their major suppliers. Turns out that the supermarket that I like the ribs from, get first pick and the one was not so great, get 2nd and 3rd choice from local suppliers.

Lighten up on the Beer as you cook................. ? Or maybe drink more Beer as they cook .......... ? I've always thought pigs should be fed nuttin but Skittles the last two weeks..........:heh:

Here's another vote for vinegar. Considering the sweetness of so many rubs and sauces I think acid is imperative to the balance of the overall.

Hickory and pork ribs is the best IMO. As previously mentioned, I never bother foiling any more. I don't like the texture and it does make them blander.
I was feeling the same way and had actually sworn off foiling but have come around to foiling for an hour or so at the end and then mopping and finishing over hot coals after I unwrap them to reestablish the firmness and caramelizing of the bark/sauce.
It's been producing great results.
That's done on a kettle though so if you're using a smoker you'd need to finish them on something else.

They look pretty delicious to me. I slather mine with Valentinas hot sauce then K salt course black pepper and a little bit of sugar. They are lip smackin good, I know the ribs I cooked at the Tx bash didn't last 10 min.

Yep! Those didn't last and we were pacing ourselves for a whole day of eating. They were cooked using post oak and hickory. I also find that 300 and no wrapping works pretty good for ribs.

Back