Birthday Beans And First Brisket Cook

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
Got this yesterday:

2eq88qf.jpg

And a few other things....

11aeouh.jpg

I rubbed the brisket with 1/3 salt, 1/3 pepper, 1/6 garlic powder and 1/6 oinion powder by weight....did it last night and it sat for about 7 hours. The red hunk of meat in the front is a piece of cured pork belly rubbed in paprika and chili powder.

Onto the grill at the break of dawn at about 250f running a mix of mostly oak and 30% cherry:

15wkzso.jpg

After a couple hours the pork belly is done:

300tgg0.jpg

Time to make the beans. Half a package of bacon sliced up and on it's way to being crisped:

w88ht0.jpg

Once bacon is crispy put it in a pot and add oinions to bacon fat.....drain off none of the bacon fat:

ff6e83.jpg

After a few minutes add in jalapeno, red and orange peppers:

14r9k5.jpg

Pork belly diced up and crisping abit and my bowl of pinnapples....use canned as they are softer than fresh:

5oy4qc.jpg

Into the pot everything goes along with garlic powder, Guiness and some Jack Daniels bbq sauce:

11v0j0o.jpg

Into some backware and onto the Bradley smoker with hickory and cherry smoke rolling:

zmjb4l.jpg

The brisket after about 5 hours or so internal is almost 160f at this point:

mkdt88.jpg

I spritzed with a combo of 2 parts beef stock to 1 part Guiness. The brisket was pulled and foiled with 2 tbsp of the spritz at 165f and returned to the grill:

2eduwds.jpg

Beans are pulled at an internal of 155f....the pinnapples at his point are just starting to really soften:

2po2i3d.jpg

The brisket is still foiled and I will be starting to smoke that cheese in the Bradley soon. I will update with photos. I posted a question about brisket cooking in general yesterday.....got some good advice and am now putting it to use. Thanks to those who helped.

Last edited:
Nope. Tinfoil in the bottom of the kettle and the Bradley has a water bowl below the heat diffuser.

I got ya'!

For a minute I was thinking why the fark does he have ice in his grill!:laugh:

Brisky and beans look great!

Put the rounds of brie and camambert in the Bradley with the heating element shut off and the unit cooled down from the bean cook. I used straight cherry pucks in the end for this. The cheese smoked at about 150f for 2.5 hours:

2ldftcw.jpg

I did not get a shot but he rind turned smokey yellow/brown. I turned the heating element on about 45 minutes or so before guests came and it got up to 230f on the units readout. The cheese was a hit with everyone.

I returned the point of the brisket to the smoker for 2.5 hours then foiled it and put it aside. I shut the kettle down then after about 25 minutes I moved the foiled brisket into it in preparation for eating.....sliced up:

fje369.jpg

The brisket was very good. I am so glad I had some experience smoking food before tackling this one. I was not the only one busy today though boys. My wife made me cornbread, a coconut cake and a lemon merangue pie:

fb9nbb.jpg

There ain't nothing like a fresh lemon merangue pie....eat it while the merangue is still hot...just like cotton candy it is it is:

acc1i0.jpg

Almost as sweet as my wife....unless she's mad then the above rules.

Everything looks great!! Love the looks of that cake and pie too. :-D

Back