BigTerp's UDS Build

You'll be fine. Only issue you will have is ash clogging the holes if you don't keep it clean, as your holes are so near the bottom, so.... Keep it clean! Looks like a good start!

Thanks.

Clean as in not letting ash pile up from multiple cooks?

What I did for my exhaust was take a 2" close nipple and weld a chrome exhaust tip to it for the blind factor. To snuff out the fire, I simply unscrew the exhaust stack and screw a 2" plug in its place. As far as your rain concern, you could weld a rain cap, as pictured, to a 2" nipple for when you are cooking.

What I did for my exhaust was take a 2" close nipple and weld a chrome exhaust tip to it for the blind factor. To snuff out the fire, I simply unscrew the exhaust stack and screw a 2" plug in its place. As far as your rain concern, you could weld a rain cap, as pictured, to a 2" nipple for when you are cooking.

Thanks. Good idea.

Got a lot done over the weekend. Basically finished our smokers.

Spent Friday evening cutting, grinding and welding. Got the first grate cut out, but it was a bit big. Once I got it dialed in the other 3 cut easy.
IMG_20150424_191144_zpsnwc2abco.jpg

IMG_20150424_233801_zpslq75bmn0.jpg

Added feet to our charcoal baskets, but didn't get pictures. Used 3" bolts as legs. Will probably add an ash pan at some point, but for now it's good to go. Did grab a picture of our charcoal basket grabbers/hooks. My buddy made them out of 1/2" conduit. Waiting on some 5/16" steel rod to make the handle for our fire boxes.
IMG_20150425_100800_zpsp496wgkw.jpg

I put 2 casters and a leg on my barrel. Had them laying around the shed that my wife picked up at a yard sale a year or so ago. My buddy didn't want any on his. Seems to be nice so far. I'm 6'8" so the added 7" or so it added to the height of my barrel is nice. The leg is a 7" piece of angle iron with a large washer welded on to it.
IMG_20150425_100631_zpslbkjqiie.jpg

IMG_20150425_100655_zps8jcicszt.jpg

Welded all of our nipples and handles on. I'm not a welder, but my buddy does a good job.
IMG_20150425_100636_zpsi6ockjgw.jpg

IMG_20150425_100641_zpskozrr0xz.jpg

IMG_20150425_100648_zpsfzbb9lpj.jpg

Used 1/8" rod welded around the perimeter of our grates to sturdy them up. Didn't seem like quite enough so we added some 1/4" rod across the center of each grate. Nice and sturdy now.
IMG_20150425_100945_zpskjui3u6h.jpg

Spent the better part of Saturday morning cleaning out the inside of the barrels. Wasn't the worst job, but something I'm not looking forward to doing again. A wire wheel on a grinder made things move pretty fast. Got the majority of the liner out. I figured what didn't come out with the burn and grinding would be OK to stay.
IMG_20150425_103213_zpsh0zxrx94.jpg

IMG_20150425_141756_zpsvtm4gfkw.jpg

Wire wheeled the outside of each barrel then wiped down with denautered alcohol to prep for paint.
IMG_20150425_161859_zpskb7dubfi.jpg

Used Rust Oleum high temp bbq paint through an HVLP spray gun for paint. Ended up using about 3/4 of a quart to do 4 coats on each barrel. I think they turned out pretty nice.
IMG_20150425_191016_zpsmcrysswd.jpg

IMG_20150426_121658_zpsvt46up1p.jpg

IMG_20150426_121709_zpsyxr1ec3p.jpg

IMG_20150426_121728_zpshybbtmup.jpg

Cleaned the inside of the barrels today with come general Clorox cleaner and then wiped down with some Crisco. Wire wheeled the grates to knock the rust off and sprayed them down with some Pam. Started with 1/2 basket full of charcoal and some wood chips mixed in. Used 10 hot coals to get things started. Got up to 180 quickly so I capped one nipple. Got to 200 quickly so I capped the other nipple. Then used my ball valve to regulate things to about 225 or. Took a little while to get to temp. Next cook I'll hold off on capping the second nipple until a little later.
IMG_20150426_143334_zpsqeyhlryc.jpg

Still throwing around the idea of a shelf/side table, but my Maverick sits nicely on the lid. That was my biggest reason for a table was to hold my thermometer.
IMG_20150426_150236_zpsc8oociou.jpg

IMG_20150426_150458_zpsf5d0gy1n.jpg

Once things got up to temp I took a nap. Had a full day of yard work (and beer drinking) so I was beat. Woke up to this.
IMG_20150426_211003_zpscdzulinx.jpg

Bottom grate is obviously hotter than the top. But my probe was sitting directly on the grate, so I'm guessing the difference from top to bottom is not that much.

That's pretty much it. Going to add a 6" nipple and 90 degree pipe elbow to the 2" bung on my lid for an exhaust and we'll be complete. Planning on smoking a butt this upcoming weekend to break it in. Looking forward to it!!!

Looks Good. Don't get too caught up in trying to run 225*. You will find where your UDS likes to run with your choice of charcoal and just go with it. 240, 250 or 275*............

Wood Chips burn up too fast - use chunks golf ball to fist sized mixed thru out the charcoal.

Looks Good. Don't get too caught up in trying to run 225*. You will find where your UDS likes to run with your choice of charcoal and just go with it. 240, 250 or 275*............

Wood Chips burn up too fast - use chunks golf ball to fist sized mixed thru out the charcoal.

Thanks!!

Typically use Royal Oak lump. I plan to get chunks. Had chips on hand that I used in a "smoke box" for my offset.

Seems to hold temps pretty well. Finally shut it down after 8 hours of running around 230 or so. Excited to have a smoker I don't have to babysit.

What do you guys typically see with temperature difference between top and bottom grate? Mine is at 6" and 12" below the top.

Enjoy your UDS! I had to put my intakes low too because of the ridges in my barrel, no biggie just have to keep it clean. I use an 18" pizza pan in the bottom of my drum. Don't worry about the temp not staying exactly where you want let the drum do what it does and use your instincts and your Q will be awesome.

Awesome. I have built at least 6 or 7 of those babies. I have used lump charcoal and Briquets (kingsford blue) but prefer Kingsford because it doesn't want to get really hot. My preferred temp for most stuff is about 250-275 unless I am pressed for time or grilling.
FYI- I really like to have a Weber Kettle lid on my drums but it is a pain to find a drum that fits it properly.

Thanks!! Was a fun project.

Planning on doing a pork butt Friday evening/night for a Saturday afternoon meal. Figuring on a 8+ lb. butt will be enough for 5 adults and 2 kids. That should be enough, right? Going to set my Maverick to 230-275 smoker temp and let it ride overnight. Hopefully once dialed in my UDS will stay in that range. Looking forward to it!!

Back