THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
I'm still reeling from Anthony Bourdain checking out, and now this.

His Instagram account has a link.

www.bigmista.com/bigmistas-view/21-days-and-counting

Last two paragraphs:

"...For now, if you want some Bigmista’s we’re open Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11-8 and Sunday 11-4. Unless something comes up, our last official day will be July 1. And don't be mad when we tell you it's gone. because you know the barbecue rules.

Again, we love you, we thank, we appreciate you, and we’ll see you on the smoky side."

I'm waiting for the sound of trumpets....

Such a bummer. His website says:

Who would have thought this day would come. It was our plan to Que our way to the afterlife. That may still happen, but for now, it is coming o an end. Bigmista’s will be closing its doors at the end of the month.

We tried to get out of our lease, but the landlord said no. Then we decided to let the evict us to break the lease but found out we’re still on the hook for the end of the lease. We told them fine we’re leaving, but they decided they wanted us out in 5 days and decided to involve lawyers to evict us. Oh well, then no need for me to rush paying. I’ll hold it til we go to court. Actually, the old me would do that, but I’m gonna pay and be done so we can move on.

We are moving out of state in a few months where I’m starting a new business. Bigmista hasn’t decided what he’s gonna do yet, but he still wants to work with food. When Bigmista let me step away from the shop we found he wasn’t so great with employees, so I’m not sure if another restaurant is in his future.

I know people want to know why and the short answer is because we’re grown and we can. The long answer may be a bit more complicated but not much different. Our house is up for sale. We’re tossing or selling whatever we can and traveling light. If Bigmista would let me give stuff away, I’d be done real quick.

Suffice it to say it has been a pleasure serving all of you, even the complainers. We may have worked long hours, bitched, moaned and ached but we would not have traded this experience for the world. I love each and every one of you that made our business a success and God willing we may return to Long Beach.

For now, if you want some Bigmista’s we’re open Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11-8 and Sunday 11-4. Unless something comes up, our last official day will be July 1. And don't be mad when we tell you it's gone. because you know the barbecue rules.

Again, we love you, we thank, we appreciate you, and we’ll see you on the smoky side.

Moving On to Bigger n Better things Hopefully....... or Smaller n Better........either way Best Wishes to Mr n Mrs BigMista.

If’n Y’all come Back to Texas - Holler at Us.

Yeah - saw that. Gave him a holler and will hopefully hear back soon.

Bummer for us! Hopefully gonna get down there this weekend and/or next weekend. By far one of my favorite folks around here - already didn't get to see Neil enough as it is, now it'll be even less! Fark! :doh:

Neil is the whole reason I'm on this site - found out about it by reading an interview with him.

Maybe their vehicle will break down as they head north. Like somewhere around Culver City - we got room!

We've been chasing my dream for 10 years now an Phyllis has been nothing but supportive. Now it's her turn and I've got her back. We've heading to Medford Oregon but there is a lot of travel planned also. Now that Morgan is older, we want to show her the world and that's hard to do with me being tied to the shop with no one I could trust to run it while I was gone. So I have some ideas for classes and BBQ popups but if anyone needs a BBQ consultant or a judge for a contest, I'm available!

There is nothing behind the scenes. No secret controversy. It's just time for a change and we are excited about it! Phyllis has never lived anywhere but California and now there is nothing holding us back.

Neil,

I'm really sorry to hear you'll be leaving town, but it sounds like you've got a solid plan in place and a new direction to look forward to, so it's all good!

Godspeed my friend,in whatever path you and your family decide on.Your cooks and knowledge are impressive and inspirational.

Glad to see you guys are able to follow the dreams you have and support each other. I have no doubt that you will continue to have success.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Best wishes in everything you do. There is a race track in Medford so I may just wind up there once in awhile.

Back