Big thanks to IamMadMan!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
I am really overdoing in doing this so I want to start off with apologizing to IamMadMan. He sent me a gift a couple of weeks ago and life caught up with me. Started off with a diet to fix vacation pounds. Then my work life blew up in a very bad way. Even when I had time to cook, I did not have an appetite and did not want to waste anything. Work is still horrible, I find out Tuesday night if I have a job or not, it is not a good situation.

But, I was hungry today and had to try this amazing gift from brother in Q.

Here is the amazing gifts that he sent. And, he had no idea that I have a love affair with chicken!

So I am using the Chiavetta's Marinade today. He recommended the other first for sound reasons, but I did not have time for the soak on the State Fair Cornell Chicken. Right now 4 skin on bone in thighs are marinating in the fridge and while that is happening I happen to be enjoying a tasty beverage.

Then it is to the Weber Kettle for an indirect cook.

More pictures to follow. Thank you IamMadMan!!!

Looks like you are off to a great start.......

Keep us posted on the progress of your cook....

Our thoughts and prayers are with you brother.

Here is a hint of the end, this stuff is GOOD!!!
I started skin side down on the thighs after marinating for 3 hours.

Then the flip once the skin had some char.

I finished indirect to 165 while basting with the left over marinade. The smell of the marinade hitting the hot grill below was amazing.

Hot off the grill and time to plate.

Plated.

Results. I would highly recommend this marinade if you like a twang of vinegar. There was not a lot, and it did not overpower the chicken, but it was there. I personally like this. There was a background of sweet and a little spice, I could not put my finger on the spice though. It was well balanced with the chicken, I could still taste the chicken. I have had some marinades that blew out the natural flavor of the chicken. I would recommend this to all to try. I will definitely do it again.

Thank you again IamMadMan.

There was a background of sweet and a little spice, I could not put my finger on the spice though. It was well balanced with the chicken, I could still taste the chicken.

Ground Celery Seed, White Pepper (not as pungent), and Marjoram are the most pronounced flavors in the marinade (also contains a little Thyme and Rosemary). The celery seed gives it a natural slightly sweet flavor. As the vinegar cooks away it leaves a salty sweet taste in the chicken, which leaves you wanting another bite.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty cool to try other marinades/sauces/rubs that you can't get in your area. Regional products that otherwise you'd never try.....great job guys!

I think it's pretty cool to try other marinades/sauces/rubs that you can't get in your area. Regional products that otherwise you'd never try.....great job guys!

Check out our Trading Post Forum, we will be starting a new trade round in Mid-November. If you have an interest, create your trade account now using your Brethren Name on the NCGrimbo site as directed in the forum.

Then when the sign up begins, you simply join the trade... Everybody sends something and everybody receives something from another part of the country.

Here is a hint of the end, this stuff is GOOD!!!
I started skin side down on the thighs after marinating for 3 hours.

Hot off the grill and time to plate.

Results. I would highly recommend this marinade if you like a twang of vinegar. There was not a lot, and it did not overpower the chicken, but it was there. I personally like this. There was a background of sweet and a little spice, I could not put my finger on the spice though. It was well balanced with the chicken, I could still taste the chicken. I have had some marinades that blew out the natural flavor of the chicken. I would recommend this to all to try. I will definitely do it again.

That looks great..... IamMadMad gave me some about a year ago, it was great. Thank You for the reminder, I just added it to my shopping list for later this week. How soon we forget, LOL....

PS, I am in for this trade round as well, I reviewed the last trade round and lots of great items were traded between Brethren. Thanks NCGrimbo and IamMadMan for hosting these trades.

I think of all my years of note-taking here on this forum, 1/2 of my notes must be from IamMadMan alone. This is not just because he knows stuff - he is gracious enough to take time and post a lot of detail and insight. Not just a recipe, but why it works.

Back