BIG Labor Day cook - will post pictures

Schmendrick

Knows what a fatty is.
Hiya, Brethren.

Preparing for a big smoke on the ol' Frankensmoker for a Labor Day gathering tomorrow. I will post pictures. Here is what I've done so far:

• Began brining poultry (whole turkey and 8 chicken quarters) yesterday in water, kosher salt, pepper, garlic, worchestershire and brown sugar.
  • Began marinating 2 racks baby back ribs (membranes pulled) and 1 pork loin today in ginger ale, orange juice, apple juice, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, rib rub, worchestershire, BBQ sauce, Frank's Red Hot sauce, and a little kosher salt and pepper. Will also inject.
  • Will trim and begin marinating 20 lb. brisket in concentrated beef broth and instant au jus later today. Will also inject.
  • Purchased some raw fresh peppered sausage from Central Market. No prep - will just add to smoker 45 minutes before service time.
Tomorrow:

• Early AM - I will rub down both the brisket and turkey, and put them on. Last time, I pulled an all-nighter and did a 12-hour cook on the brisket. This time, I'm going to use Bludawg's method. Going to wrap in pink butcher paper and see how it does.
  • 5 hours ahead - will rub down and put on chicken and pork products.
  • 45 min ahead - will put on sausage.
I will use a combo of Apple wood and Oak.

As promised, I will take pictures at final setup, along with my thoughts and notes for improvements for next time.

Anyone else doing anything similar?

Happy Labor Day, folks.
- Clint

Last edited:
You neglected to list your personal re-hydration choice for this big cook! I hope you knock it out of the park, Clint!

Always.
0829_millerlite_small1.jpg

Okay, Pics as promised:

20150906_071028_resized.jpg
Here's the 20lb. trimmed brisket going on the smoker.

20150906_163734_resized.jpg
Everything else on the smoker: Brisket, turkey, pork ribs and pork loin wrapped. Chicken quarters naked.

20150906_174436_resized.jpg
Sauced and "glued" chicken quarters.

20150906_174445_resized.jpg
Finished Turkey

2015090695180816_resized.jpg

20150906_180826_resized.jpg
Slicing the brisket. (Sorry for poor quality) Sauced/"glued" pork loin and pork ribs in front of me; burnt ends to my right.

It was goooooooooo-ooooooood. :-Dhttp://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I do have a question to ask my fellow brethren: as you can see here, I cooked up both pork ribs and pork loin.

I marinated both the ribs AND the loin together for 24 hours before the cook.

I rubbed down both the ribs AND the loin with the same rub.

I smoked both the ribs AND the loin at the same time for the same amount of time.

I wrapped both the ribs AND the loin and took them off at the same time.

I sauced both the ribs AND the loin and glued it on.

. . . but when we sliced them, the ribs were flavorful, tender and juicy. But the pork loin was flavorful and dry, dry, DRY!

What did I do wrong??

Loin is a much leaner cut of meat and will not need to cook as long.

That's interesting. In my research on the issue afterward, I also learned that many people will do a bacon wrap on their pork loins in order to supplement the fat needed to make it a juicy piece of meat. Does anyone else to do this? Also, I cooked the ribs and the loin for around 6 hours: 3 unwrapped, 3 wrapped. I even injected the loin, and it still came out dry! Any other tricks anyone else uses?

Fantastic spread!

As to the pork loin, the marinade was fine, but you just want to cook the loin to an IT of 135-145 at most, once above those temps it is likely to be dry.

KC

I have done loin with bacon and without during the same cook and the one with bacon was definitely juicier. Also bacon is pretty much great on anything.

Nice looking cook you have there. I don't do pork loins on the smoker anymore for the very reason you described. Even if you do everything perfectly and get a moist product you must eat it very soon after removing from the smoker or it will still dry out. This has been my experience anyway.

Back