THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Situational

Definitely a tough call. The outlaw even as big as it is being the 2860 model is much smaller than the 250 for sure. I’d say the outlaw is much more versatile in size. But if I had to bet money in the best brisket smoker in existence it would be the ASW. Unfortunately it’s a little big for where we are moving and I’m going to sell it. At one point in our backyard I had these two, the egg, a Shirley, MMS-60, humphreys, and a drum. Was a little nuts but I wanted to cook on everything but the asw simply has the most amazing draw and I’ve cooked on a moberg as well. Looking inside the ASW you see the method behind how John Lewis designed it to simply be the best brisket smoker. Don’t get me wrong it’s great for everything, but is just amazing for producing Texas style brisket

So, how do you decide which cooker get the call between the ASW 250 and the Outlaw.

On a personal note, how close is the foot print between those two cookers. I think the 250 is slightly larger?? I want to add a direct flow to my collection, but have been going back and forth on which one. Moberg, Primitive, Jambo, Outlaw hybrid. Choices. lol

Both are direct flow, so is it a coin toss??

Definitely a tough call. The outlaw even as big as it is being the 2860 model is much smaller than the 250 for sure. I’d say the outlaw is much more versatile in size. But if I had to bet money in the best brisket smoker in existence it would be the ASW. Unfortunately it’s a little big for where we are moving and I’m going to sell it. At one point in our backyard I had these two, the egg, a Shirley, MMS-60, humphreys, and a drum. Was a little nuts but I wanted to cook on everything but the asw simply has the most amazing draw and I’ve cooked on a moberg as well. Looking inside the ASW you see the method behind how John Lewis designed it to simply be the best brisket smoker. Don’t get me wrong it’s great for everything, but is just amazing for producing Texas style brisket

I met a guy close to my house that has a 500 gallon ASW, it is a great looking cooker but a little large for just the backyard. Do you have a picture of the outlaw and the ASW 250 next to each other, by chance. Too bad you are on the wrong coast, just a little far to make an offer on the ASW. Unless you are moving to AZ???

Right now in my back yard, I have 4 Hunsaker drums, a shirley fab, FEC 240, PG500, Hasty Bake and 3 classic weber kettles. I understand how difficult choosing the cooker can be. But I still a direct flow. lol

I hear you

I’ve never had them side by side but the difference is really in the firebox.

I met a guy close to my house that has a 500 gallon ASW, it is a great looking cooker but a little large for just the backyard. Do you have a picture of the outlaw and the ASW 250 next to each other, by chance. Too bad you are on the wrong coast, just a little far to make an offer on the ASW. Unless you are moving to AZ???

Right now in my back yard, I have 4 Hunsaker drums, a shirley fab, FEC 240, PG500, Hasty Bake and 3 classic weber kettles. I understand how difficult choosing the cooker can be. But I still a direct flow. lol

Last edited:
Back