Big Cook (for me) and an important milestone on 8/26 - Back story & a couple questions

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok so I’ve got a big date coming up on August 26th and I’m planning on cooking for about 35 people.
First, let me start with a quick back story - on August 26th of 2011 I rode my motorcycle home from work, called a couple of buddies to come over for a beer in the garage to kick start the weekend. Within minutes of them showing up, my heart stopped and I fell over dead on the garage floor. My heart had stopped at the age of 31 (until that point, perfectly healthy). They did CPR, got the paramedics there who lit me up with the paddles 7 times between the 4 mile ride from my garage to the hospital. Since I’m here to type this, ultimately they saved my life. I was unconscious for 9 days and the docs told my wife and the family that IF I woke up, I would probably need dependent care the rest of my life because my brain had been without oxygen for over 5 minutes. I’m fairly stubborn and I proved everyone wrong by waking up on day 9 and I’ve pretty much recovered 100%.

So if it wasn’t for my friends being around on that day, I simply wouldn’t be here. I never would have got a chance to join this forum, finally own a smoker (which I got a month or so ago) and more importantly I never would have got the chance to see my 1st child born (wife is due on November 2nd). The last year has been crazy from arriving DOA at the hospital to finding out we are expecting. I’m the buddy in the group that always throws the big bashes and does all the cooking so I figured a big get together is in order for the 26th.

Few details of the cook…

1) Planning on feeding 30-35 (8 of which are kids ages 11 and under)

2) Meat will include
- pulled pork (roughly 25lbs of raw butt is what I’m thinking of targeting)
- burgers, brats and dogs for the kids and the few folks that don’t want pulled pork :doh:

3) Cooking on my 22.5” WSM, mostly likely with Stubb’s briquettes and apple or peach smoke wood. I’ll be firing up the cooker mid-day Saturday in hopes that the butts will be done early Sunday morning. Once they are done I’ll foil, wrap in a towel and place in a cooler until we are ready to pull

4) There will be a ton of side dishes (including some smoked beans, chili cheese dip w/ smoked tri tip for meat), appetizers and deserts

And a few questions…

1) Does it sound like enough pork?

2) Finally does anyone have a finishing sauce that they wouldn’t mind sharing? I’ve made up a few homemade sauces but haven’t nailed one yet. I’d like a thin sauce to have on the side if at all possible and have a little time between now and then to make up a few batches.

Thanks!

Westy

25 pounds seems like overkill to me. That'd be a little over 1/2lb* of cooked PP for each person (including all the kids), plus burgers, brats, sides, and desserts.

I'm not an expert though, and I don't know how much you want for leftovers.

*Assuming ~20% loss due to moisture and excess fat

25 lbs of raw pork should yield ~14 lbs (220 oz) of cooked pork. (we usually experience ~45% loss in cook). A normal vending serving of 6 oz will yield ~37 servings. Kids usually don't eat 6 oz but some adults may eat more if it is self serve. If it were me I would cook another 8-10 lb butt and make sure I had plenty of yummy leftovers!!! :icon_smile_tongue:

The general rule of thumb for pulled pork from butts is 50% yield, so 25 lbs. raw will yield 12.5 lbs cooked (it may be more, but that's a safe number). So, at 1/3 lb per sandwich, that will give you about 37 sandwiches. Kids and women will probably the less, but some of the guys may have two sandwiches. With all of the other stuff you're probably fine, but I don't think it's overkill.

BTW, congrats on surviving all of that and being around to join us and cook for your friends and family!

Man, that's like a horror story. Glad you survived.
As for sauces, here's the ones I use.
Roxy's Mustard Sauce
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Directions:
Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

Here's a vinegar based sauce.
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon Texas Pete’s (i usually use Tabasco brand)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:
1. Place all of the ingredients in a small, non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.

2. Pour the sauce into a jar or squeeze bottle and let rest in the refrigerator one day before using.

That's amazing. Sounds like you got some serious thanking to do. You may want to add Russ's Pretzel Coated Brownies to the mix. You're buddies deserve the best! :wink:

Man .... wow. Glad you made here. Good luck with the cook.
Also. May the wind be at your back. & keep er shiny side up bro!

Wow, glad you are here to bbq! Out of curiosity, what was up with your heart? Why did it just decide to stop?

Chris

Back