BGE Table Questions???

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Im fixing to start on a BGE Table. Im making it out of Reclaimed Barn Wood for the top and 3x5 Red Oak Post for the Legs. The barn wood has been planed to 3/4" and is a mix of Poplar,Maple, and Cherry. My question is once it is done what do I do to protect it from elements? Do I stain it? Thompsons Water Seal? Tung Oil??????

I have been working this out in my head ALL winter and ready to get started.... Also repairing 2 picnic tables I saved from the junk pile at the mill. AND got the metal last weekend to put a roof under my deck for all my toys!!!!

thanks for the help!!!:-D

Depends on whether you want to showcase the old wood or if you are using it because you have it. An opaque exterior stain will hold up much better than anything else. If you want to showcase the wood though it's harder. I'm not a big tung oil fan but it's easy to keep reapplying. I'd probably go with a marine varnish as I think it will hold the color in the wood better against uv but it's also probably the most expensive option

Needless to say, post pics as you go!

Depends on whether you want to showcase the old wood or if you are using it because you have it. An opaque exterior stain will hold up much better than anything else. If you want to showcase the wood though it's harder. I'm not a big tung oil fan but it's easy to keep reapplying. I'd probably go with a marine varnish as I think it will hold the color in the wood better against uv but it's also probably the most expensive option

Needless to say, post pics as you go!

I would love to showcase the old wood and the beautiful Red Oak legs:-D

So we had a busy day yesterday... I had got to busted picnic tables from the family mill. I got both those put back together and we got started on putting metal roof up for the BBQ area. It poured ALL DAY so wasnt the best working conditions but we made the best of it! thanks:-D
download
download

download
download
download

Back