THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I had short ribs at a local bistro that were amazing, so I wanted to try them for myself. The bistro does them for 12 hours at 175 degrees, then 8 more at 155. My BGE won't do that, so I tried it a bit differently.

Short ribs are typically done in a dutch oven type set up, covered, and braising is the way to cook them. The one thing missing from the bistro's short ribs was a bit of smoke.

I seared the ribs on the grill, then lowered the temp down to about 225, with some cherry wood on for smoke. I went back into the house and started the sauce... It's a simple thing: 2 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, a medium onion, a couple cloves of garlic and a large tomato. Tomatoes aren't in season, so I opened a can of san marzano tomatoes and used about 5 of them.

The sauce went into a cast iron dutch oven, and I also added some beef stock and red wine (I used a bordeaux). The ribs went into the sauce, and I added water to make sure the ribs were covered by about 1 inch.

The whole thing went onto the BGE, uncovered, for about 5 hours, until the ribs were very tender. I took some of the sauce, added a roux, and reduced it until it was thicker... Not gravy thick, just thicker.

I made some wild mushroom risotto with herbs and truffle oil to go with it. Great meal overall, though I would change a couple of things next time... Mainly, I would smoke the ribs longer on their own before putting them into the sauce to allow more fat to render off the ribs.

3377636190_1ac64553bd_b.jpg

3377638144_d276ff0610_o.jpg

3377657736_1b44f0ab00_o.jpg

3377637470_008e31c9b2_o.jpg

3377639194_67261789d3_b.jpg

3377640320_4a64168704_b.jpg

Nice job Curt those look really good. It seems that the restuarants get first choice on the short ribs because I can never find any that look as good as the ones they get?

I think it depends a lot on the market where you shop. I am lucky enough to have a great place locally where I can find top quality stuff.

I only discovered them a few years ago. Wonderful stuff eh?
Try the Korean "angle". Get the "flanken cut", across the bones instead of with them. Straight grilled (well charred and indirect for a while) and marinated/basted in sauce with lots of black bean paste-that fermented hoisin flavor. Its the richest piece of meat I think I have ever had.
Let me go hunt down that recipe (hold music-Girl from Ipanema):
OK, marinade:

1/2 cup natural brewed soy sauce1 small onion
1 small Nashi (Asian) pear or semi sweet apple
6 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar or 3 tablespoons honey
4 spring/green onion
2 teaspoons pure toasted sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Sauce: