BGE Cracked

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
John
I grilled some shrimp this afternoon to go with dinner and when I was shutting down, I found a large crack on the base going up the side of my BGE.

I guess I will see how the warranty process will work. I've never abused mine with nuclear temps or any other silliness. It's my main cooker and I love it. My original dealer has closed shop, but the mothership says I can contact any authorized BGE dealer.

I'm guessing no problem

Menu
Big Green Egg Horizontal Logo
Search
Search...
Big Green Egg Product Warranty
WARRANTY for Residential and Commercial Applications

IMPORTANT – READ SAFETY TIPS AND FIRST TIMER TIPS BEFORE USING YOUR EGG
AFTER READING THE WARRANTY BELOW MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER YOUR EGG.

Printable Warranty

The Big Green Egg (“BGE”) was the first ceramic grill manufacturer in the world to stand behind its products by offering a Limited Lifetime Warranty, and has maintained this standard for over a quarter-century! Your Big Green Egg has been carefully inspected and certified to be the highest-quality outdoor cooker ever, and we continue to offer best-in-class customer service and warranty support to purchasers of the Ultimate Cooking Experience!®

WARRANTY CLAIM PROCEDURE:

A valid proof of purchase receipt from an Authorized Dealer will be required to make a Warranty claim. For Warranty support, contact the Authorized Dealer from which the item was purchased.

You may contact any Authorized Dealer if the EGG was purchased within the United States. For EGGs purchased in countries outside the United States, Warranty claims are handled by an Authorized Dealer or Distributor in the country of purchase.

Please refer to the INTERNATIONAL section of the BGE website at BigGreenEgg.com to locate the Authorized BGE International Distributor in your particular region. Warranty claims must be made through an Authorized Dealer or Distributor within the original country of purchase.

Do not ship or mail any components for a Warranty claim before contacting an Authorized Dealer or Distributor, as in some cases it may not be necessary to return the warranted part. Our goal is to make any Warranty claim as simple as possible. If further assistance is needed, please email Customer-Support@BigGreenEgg.com

In the unlikely event that you have a Warranty Claim on a Big Green Egg, these are the TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE BIG GREEN EGG LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

1. THE BIG GREEN EGG:

Warranty for Residential Use: Each Big Green Egg® ceramic cooker (2XL, XXLarge, XLarge, Large, Medium, Small, MiniMax and Mini) used as a residential (non-commercial) ceramic cooker carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty for materials and workmanship on all ceramic components (including dome, base, damper top, fire box and fire ring) to the original purchaser or owner who has purchased the EGG from an Authorized Dealer, and has registered their Warranty as required (the “Residential Warranty”). This Warranty is valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the EGG®. The warranty for residential use of other ceramic, metal and wood components or EGGcessories are covered as explained below. This warranty is in addition to and does not affect any statutory rights which may apply.

From what I remember reading over the years, the only issue may be when you get your replacement parts. Will depend on when the next shipment is to the local dealer. They won't do a special shipment.

It happens.

7NJLzzR.jpg

UJKVKwz.jpg

I've had a LBGE for 20+ years and have gotten 2 fireboxes and one base replaced. The process is pretty straightforward. You start with the dealer, and they can get you headed in the right direction to process your claim.

BobbyQ a corporate chef at BGE years ago picked up on a forum post of mine and had a replacement firebox all boxed up before the end of the work day. When my base cracked, the distributer was coming through Wyoming and they put one on the truck so I didn't have to mess around with shipping.

You will have to disassemble the Egg and it's a good idea to replace the upper gasket so both of them will be new. Make sure you zip tie bands back by the hinge before loosening any nuts. There are some good instructional videos on YouTube. The hardest thing to dial in will be the alignment of the dome to the base, which just takes some patience.

Good advice

It happens.

7NJLzzR.jpg

UJKVKwz.jpg

I've had a LBGE for 20+ years and have gotten 2 fireboxes and one base replaced. The process is pretty straightforward. You start with the dealer, and they can get you headed in the right direction to process your claim.

BobbyQ a corporate chef at BGE years ago picked up on a forum post of mine and had a replacement firebox all boxed up before the end of the work day. When my base cracked, the distributer was coming through Wyoming and they put one on the truck so I didn't have to mess around with shipping.

You will have to disassemble the Egg and it's a good idea to replace the upper gasket so both of them will be new. Make sure you zip tie bands back by the hinge before loosening any nuts. There are some good instructional videos on YouTube. The hardest thing to dial in will be the alignment of the dome to the base, which just takes some patience.

I’ve had great luck getting replacement components over the past 20 years. I usually find a local dealer that also sells pellets, rubs, etc-spend some cash with them and they will take care of you when the inevitable time comes.

+1 on the take your time with alignment. A few years back I hastily installed a new gasket and didn’t notice the lid was out of alignment until it was 800 degrees-cooking pizzas. Tried to “align” it during the cook-welding gloves on. Not my best moment. $175 new lid…

You shouldn't have any issue if your Egg is registered.
For me, customer service has been excellent and I'm very satisfied.

I hope thing workout for you a well as they have for me.

Good Luck

Alignment IS the tricky part. But others have reported still being able to cook in spite of simple cracks like yours. While you wait there's always Duct Tape? The BGE folks are pretty stand up guys. You should be made whole soon enough.

I don't personally know a single person who has gotten and egg and not broken it or had it develope cracks. They all love them, and warranties are good, but it's enough to steer me away from ceramic cookers altogether. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. I'm going to take some pictures of the crack and go to a dealer with my receipt. In the mean time, I'm still going to cook on my Egg. I'm comfortable with adjusting the bands.

I was going to replace the gasket soon, so that will save me some time in only replacing the top gasket.

This should certainly be covered under warranty, not a problem.

I have only had fire boxes replaced, but there’s never been any question.

As far as the gasket goes, I’ve never found a need to have them on top and bottom, one should suffice as long as you line things up properly. Hell, I ran one of my BGE’s without gaskets at all, made no noticeable difference.

Back