BGE - A couple of questions?

If you can wait a little longer to get a Kamado, the "Big Joe" from Kamado Joe is just starting to hit dealers stores. It has the same size cooking grid as an XL BGE, but is MUCH larger. The thing looks awesome.

KJ also has great people in thier company and treats everyone really well. I have been corresponding with them frequently, and even though I don't own a KJ (YET!!) they have been extremely helpful.

Also, everyone I talk to that has a KJ says they have never had a gasket problem. It's one of the things about the BGE that KJ set out to address when making thier grill. Along with the KJ coming fully assembled, and stand and side tables included in the price. And I would be willing to bet that they WILL be around in 10-20 years.

IMO its at least worth looking into before you go spending $1200, to get the most for your $$$.

This is amazing to me. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Considering this is a higher end purchase and the fact that there is a lot of competition entering the market, you would think the BGE company would be smart enough to solve this problem by including a better gasket.

I honestly believe that had they improved there gaskets, a couple of their biggest competitors would not even be in business right now. It boggles my mind that they STILL haven't fixed it. I suspect the vast majority of BGE owners are NOT bbq enthusiasts on bbq websites. They are middle class yuppies who bought it because their neighbor has one. A guy who pays over a grand for a grill to cook hot dogs and burgers is mostly likely going to be completely turned off when he finds out his cooker is DESIGNED to need a gasket replacement every year. I just don't see that guy with the putty knife and acetone once a year.

How much more could it possibly cost them buying in bulk? 5 bucks?

You know, you can run without gaskets or with just one so long as you have the lid seated properly. I run with only a top gasket and have no problems holding low temps. I wouldn't fret over this gasket issue as it is not that big a deal and they are not that hard to change or expensive.

You know, you can run without gaskets or with just one so long as you have the lid seated properly. I run with only a top gasket and have no problems holding low temps. I wouldn't fret over this gasket issue as it is not that big a deal and they are not that hard to change or expensive.

I hear ya, but it's kinda like buying a porche with $50 speakers.

I could replace the gaskets, but why should I have to go to the trouble?

It's interesting to read the comments about not needing a gasket at all. I can't figure out how can the unit be air tight without a gasket? Is it air tight because it has remnants of a gasket, or can you actually scrape off the entire gasket and still have an air tight unit?

I hear ya, but it's kinda like buying a porche with $50 speakers.

I could replace the gaskets, but why should I have to go to the trouble?

It's interesting to read the comments about not needing a gasket at all. I can't figure out how can the unit be air tight without a gasket? Is it air tight because it has remnants of a gasket, or can you actually scrape off the entire gasket and still have an air tight unit?

Dude! Don't overthink this. The BGE without a gasket is still awesome. Extra air flow will affect your ability to hold low temps reliably. So, if at any time you can't hold 220 steadily then it is time to replace a gasket or realign you lid. I have had my BGE for 4 years and have replaced one gasket only because I was stupid and left the lid open while the temps soared to 900 degrees. Also burned my handle on the lid.
When you need welding gloves to close your lid, you have probably screwed up!

Dude! Don't overthink this. The BGE without a gasket is still awesome. Extra air flow will affect your ability to hold low temps reliably. So, if at any time you can't hold 220 steadily then it is time to replace a gasket or realign you lid. I have had my BGE for 4 years and have replaced one gasket only because I was stupid and left the lid open while the temps soared to 900 degrees. Also burned my handle on the lid.
When you need welding gloves to close your lid, you have probably screwed up!

Hey Marty,

Just take it back to Costco and get a brand new Egg. :becky:

JUST KIDDING!

If you're concerned about the gasket and still plan on purchasing a egg, negotiate the new gasket in the deal. It's probably real easy to change before you assemble the egg and before it gets baked on. If the dealer lets you walk over a $20 gasket then fark him.

Back