Best wood?

If I could expand on what was said above; the type(s) of wood and the amount of smoke you put on your BBQ varies GREATLY. There is no 1 solution that works best for everyone on every smoker. What works great for me may not work worth a **** for you. Add in how these smoke flavors mesh with your rubs, injections, techniques (some work better with foils IMHO than others), and you have an extremely unique situation. This is why we practice, practice, practice before we compete. Some dont, and unfortunately they're usually destined to be in that bottom third if not DAL...

Our team has won more "now" than then. You're right about the rubs and injections. It is just a new very larger smoker. My other one was smaller and cooked like a champ. but with the rising demand i had to go bigger and wanted to see what other woods were better?

Take this with a grain of salt because it is from someone who does not do comps and imports some woods (pecan) on occasion. I think that one of the roots of BBQ is using good local hardwood and meat when possible. This gives BBQ a regional flair. Maybe whatever plentiful wood you can get is your baseline and then you can tailor your rubs and sauces to your wood source.

I see the original poster is in Florida. Orange, Peach, various oaks would all be local to you amoung others. I realize you have only 2 weeks until the comp but maybe you can get something local at a reasonable price. Maybe some wood dealers didn't sell all their winter supply.

In my mind my pork and chicken smoked with apple that I helped cut down and season just tastes better. Salmon that I caught and then smoked over alder that I cut down from my deer hunting land seems to have that little extra hint of flavor. A chuckie with some white oak from a downed tree is good eating. It might just be in my mind but that's my story. :blabla:

Yea pretty much, I have liked the result I got from pecan, I like apple the best truthfully. But apple is harder to come by. Also some people are telling me Black Jack wood is good??? Not sure of that, but I am looking to see what gives me the BEST results I only have 2 weeks really to test so we shall see

Black Jack is a species of Oak.

IMO, for a stick burner, you need something that is going to burn hot and long to provide you with the heat to cook over. Hickory is great for that and if you have a clean burning fire you don't have to really worry about "over smoking" with it. Oak is also another great choice albeit a different flavor. To me Oak is like a good bourbon. Its strong, but flavorful and smooth.

Once you have that base down, you can add in chunks or small splits of fruit wood if you so choose.

My $.02

We do a 2:1 ratio pecan to cherry. Pecan is close to hickory in taste, slightly more mild, and the cherry gives great flavor and a BEAUTIFUL color.

I think people worry too much about what kind of wood they use. Just make sure that it is seasoned and it is from a fruit or nut bearing tree. Make sure you have good airflow and you should be good.

Back