THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definitely brine, simple sugar and salt is OK, but I like to add some citrus and spices. I also inject the breast with butter and rub what seeps out into the skin then shake on some salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with some aromatics and herbs. I usually use onions, celery, carrots, sage, rosemary and thyme. Go easy on the smoke, make sure you have a nice clean efficient fire and cook at 325 - 350 or the skin will turn out rubbery. Good luck and bon appetit!

I start my turkeys breast side down, and flip after a couple of hours. I also brine, which leads to great results and even better leftovers! Don't forget to baste, and if the color gets too dark, you can use a foil tent, but don't let the foil touch the bird. Attached is a phone pic...

Attachments

• 2010-11-25 10.53.29.jpg
    2010-11-25 10.53.29.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 66
How is the gravey if you brine the turkey I would think it would be salty

I find it to be a bit salty. I usually do a couple legs in the oven on a bed of onions, carrots and celery and make my gravy out of that. I imagine you could smoke that as well if you have room on the smoker.

How is the gravey if you brine the turkey I would think it would be salty
Don't make the gravy with any brine in the pan. After soaking (as illustrated by Ron), rinse completely, and allow to dry. Overnight in the fridge works well. The purpose of the brine is to draw moisture and some flavor into the meat. The drippings are much the same as any other preparation method.

Can you brine AND inject? I like the idea of the juicy meat from the brine, but also interested in putting more flavor into the meat.
I noticed only one person has mentioned spatchcocking the bird, but I understand that this is the best way to do an evenly cooked bird.
Anyone else have any words on Spatchcocking?

I like the rotisserie attachment for the Weber 22 1/2" kettle utilizing the formed metal baskets on each side, parallel. An empty drip pan under the turkey catches the fatty drippings, and are not used for gravy. No brining with this method. Salt & pepper, onion and apple in the cavity, herb butter under the breast skin, salt and cracked black pepper on the surface/ or a poultry rub on the outside. This method self-bastes. Add a few new briquettes every 45 minutes. Cook time about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.

An apple chunk on each side is good. But please, NEVER use mesquite. It will ruin the turkey with whichever cooking/smoking method you use. I learned this the hard way many years ago doing a turkey indirectly on the kettle.

Back