Best uses for cherry wood?

I've had great results mixing it w/ oak & hickory. I've even done a brisket using just cherry and I loved it. Very mild smoke flavor which I enjoy.

cherry provides a wonderful deep redish color to my cooks.

turkeybreastfeb15.jpg

I live in an orchard infested ag area, I've smoked cherry, apple, apricot, and peach trees. So far they are all awesome. Fowl is the only meat I have found to be sensitive to the type of wood you use to smoke. So anything besides a chicken - turn up the smoke!!

My wife, who does not care for the taste of hickory at all, loves cherry, especially on chicken as well as beef. I don't think I've used it on pork yet, but will be doing so my next butt smoke. I want to try a combo of cherry, apple and Jack Daniels oak with just a hint of hickory thrown in.

Thanks boys! I will either (a) use it on pork, (b) use it on EVERYTHING or (c) ship it all out to everyone.

Were these fruit trees or wild cherry?

OK, excuse my ignorance on this Bbq Bubba, but as I didn't hear anything about fruit being produced off them, am I correct that they would be considered wild cherry? I know they were on the lot when my brother had the house built. Did I just carry off several hundred pounds of bonfire fuel?

ok, i have now been told that it's a "false cherry." Am I still good, or should I only cook with this when my brother and his wife come over and I want to thank them for their generosity?!

ok, i have now been told that it's a "false cherry." Am I still good, or should I only cook with this when my brother and his wife come over and I want to thank them for their generosity?!

Should be still good! Fire up some and see what type of smell you get. Some cherry trees or "false cherry" trees have some toxicity if the leaves or other parts are eaten. However, there is no negative impact when smoking.

You can always post some pics and let us look at your wood (cherry)!

Should be still good! Fire up some and see what type of smell you get. Some cherry trees or "false cherry" trees have some toxicity if the leaves or other parts are eaten. However, there is no negative impact when smoking.

You can always post some pics and let us look at your wood (cherry)!

Thanks for the clarification! Does this help?

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 44
Wow I just cooked some chicken legs, boneless thighs and cheddar cheese sausage indirect and smoked them with the cherry chips and man o man did it smell great! It had such a great aroma and the chicken was some of the best I've ever made. Why did I limit myself in woods all this time? Cherry is great stuff and gives the meat a great color. I'm sold :-D

Back