best high temp AND wireless meat thermometer

mzpolo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
What is the best high temp AND wireless meat thermometer.
I have cooked two probes in a month (probe wires).
I read that Maverick isnt going to take the heat of a sear on a good steak.
Plenty of options for smoking, what about the higher temp cooks?

i have this master forge i purchased at Lowe's. i use it in my charbroil big easy oiless turkey fryer and it has been spot on so far. i plan to try it in my stick burner when it finish it.

Master Forge Digital Remote Meat Thermometer

Item #: 245256 | Model #: SBQ- 5491-CU

030698054917lg.jpg

i plan to try it in my stick burner to finish it.

Master Forge Digital Remote Meat Thermometer

Item #: 245256 | Model #: SBQ- 5491-CU
fixt :lol:
probe's armor is plastic, i bet will melt in no time..

Maverick (waterproofed ones) are decent probes...

fixt :lol:
probe's armor is plastic, i bet will melt in no time..

Maverick (waterproofed ones) are decent probes...

maybe so, time will tell. my turkey fryer runs at 375 F and it hasn't melted yet. i will keep y'all posted on it's durability.

Are you wanting to monitor cooker temp, or meat temp, on a high heat cook? If you just want to know meat temp, while grilling, get an instant read thermometer. I only use my probe thermometer for long cooks, i.e. butts, brisket, etc. I did a ribeye and a New York last night, and only used my Thermopop. Best steaks I've ever cooked.

Matt

Thermocouple probes are the only way to go for high heat. Thermoworks sells units that use thermocouples but I don't think they are wifi enabled. If you can wait a month and are able to do some basic soldering, Bryan will have version 4.2 of the heatermeter out that will have wifi and thermo couple support for the pit probe.

Are you wanting to monitor cooker temp, or meat temp, on a high heat cook? If you just want to know meat temp, while grilling, get an instant read thermometer. I only use my probe thermometer for long cooks, i.e. butts, brisket, etc. I did a ribeye and a New York last night, and only used my Thermopop. Best steaks I've ever cooked.

Matt

My thoughts as well.. When searing a steak I want dang hot and just wait for the grates and coals to get there..

All,

Thanks... Too quick to reply at first so double it up....
The Lowe's brand is the one I burned out twice. My practice, which is obviously flawed for that level of quality, is to minimize the opening of the grill (KamadoJoe). Wife and kids are REALLY flakey on "underdone" meats. To them, if it doesn't cook until a temp of 175, it isn't done. (Mine comes off at 150-155 and is so juicy and good it melts in your mouth!)
So, I have used the Master Forge in both chicken breasts and steak, placed in thickest part of the meat when meat was put on the grill.
For the chicken, temp of the grill on installed thermometer was 450-475. Probe wire melted while chicken was on indirect heat (over ceramic plate) with no crossing over to direct heat. Temp at wire was likely about 475.
The second burned out on a sear over direct heat. Grill temp was about 600. Temp at grate probably 650. Wire lasted to the second side sear and went poof about 2 minutes onto that side.

What do y'all do for chicken breasts or steaks? do you just time the direct heat and then measure with a pen thermometer at some point after moving the meat to indirect?
I trust Oregon Scientific as a brand but still see a max on there gear of about 650.
I am planning on calling Thermoworks but haven't gotten to it.

Maverick 732 is junk

I think that depends on who you ask. I know there are plenty of us here who've had a good experience with their mavericks. Myself included. I've had mine probably 4 yrs and I have yet to replace a probe.

I have 2 and they are generally one degree off from each other, I'll take that consistency.

To answer the OP.

For Chicken I don't leave the probe in while cooking unless it's a whole bird. Same with steaks, I never cook a steak with the probe in it unless it's a rib roast or large cut.

Get yourself a probe thermometer like the thermapen to use when grilling, there are cheaper models out there. The new thermapop is only $30, I just got my dad one for fathers day, it's pretty nice.

I don't time any direct heat cooks, just keep an eye on it and probe it when you're in doubt. Don't walk away too long and you'll eventually get a feel for when something is done or close to it. Practice makes perfect.

Back