Best Atlantic Fish for Grilling?

Thank you,
I've heard striped bass are delicious. Those photos look yummy.

JP

If you like to fish, the rockfish season is just getting started good on the Roanoke River, just above the rapids between Weldon "Rockfish Capital of the World" and Halifax, NC. It won't last long, as the state will close the season either April 30th or possibly before, if they decide too many have been caught. On a good day I've caught a fish every time I dropped a line over the side of the boat.

Redfish and sheepshead are great coastal fish as well as the inwater stripers from the Santee-Cooper reservoir and the Wateree river. All of the stripers we eat are caught in the river 2 miles down the road. Can't go wrong with the "rockfish" as they're sometimes called. Blues and flatheads are good any way any time of year.

Redfish or jumping mullet are great. they have large scales that keep them from sticking but you either have to be along the coast to get them or catch them yourself.

Thank you,
I've heard striped bass are delicious. Those photos look yummy.

JP

Be aware that striped bass are migratory and travel up the east coast in the summer and pass through many impacted waters. You all likely heard of mercury in fish but striped bass also have a PCB advisory.

Bluefin and yellowfin tuna steaks are excellent grilled, holding their shape well, and are found in NC waters. The same can be said for dolphin fish (mahi mahi). There are other tasty fish as well off the coast of NC, but they don't hold their shape as well, unless you use a non-stick grill basket. Using the basket, I'd throw in wahoo, flounder, pompano, and striped bass.

Back