Berkshire Boston butt on the Mak 2*

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I bought this last week with the intent to cook it over Memorial Day weekend, but weather/schedule didn't really cooperate. I've cooked Berkshire spares in the past and enjoyed the rich flavor and have been wanting to try a butt. This one was a shade over 9lbs and I paid $3.99/lb for it, so not exactly cheap, a ~50% premium over regularly priced "commodity pork" in my area.

Since we had a brief break in the rain, I woke up extra early and threw it on the Mak 2* before work. I injected with a "Chris Lilly" style injection last night, which I was on the fence about since it's in theory higher quality pork, but to be a more accurate comparison to what I normally cook I decided to roll with it. Rubbed with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon. Hickory pellets. 2.5 hours on the "smoke" setting, then bumped up to 240* where it'll stay until it's done.

Today is the first time I've used another thermometer to check the accuracy of the built in grill probe, and taking into consideration my probe placement is in a different area of the grill, I'd say the built in thermocouple is pretty accurate....the Chef Alarm is within 10* of set temp/readout on the Pellet Boss.

That's one nice butt you've got there. That marbling looks great and the color so far looks perfect!

Beautiful color! Safe to assume there are some cherry pellets in the hopper?

It hit about 200* when I probed it and it felt pretty good so I took it off the grill. I let it rest a couple hours before I got around to pulling it and I could tell it needed just a little bit longer to be perfect, but was still acceptable. It tasted pretty good but I am not sure I could taste that big a difference to justify the price. With chops and ribs yes, but didnt notice much on the butt. It definitely had a darker color overall and the fat texture was different (I always pull by hand to remove all the fat and weird textured chewy bits). Maybe it'd have been different had I cooked it a bit longer, but I dont think so.

Yeah I didnt expect to eat it today, though it did wind up getting to finishing temps earlier than I expected. Had to make the decision whether to pull it off the grill before I did the bedtime routine or after, I think after wouldve been the better choice.

The marbling and color looks much better than commodity pork for sure. I was expecting to you to report a noticeable difference.

I’ll probably still try this for myself. Where did you pick up the butt in KC?

That's a fine looking butt Suds. :nod: Marbling looks awesome and surprised not much of a flavor difference. I did Duroc ribs over the weekend and maaaaan am I hooked. Huge difference over commodity spares.

To be fair I didnt make a plate of it yet or anything, just sampling as I pulled it. I should probably reserve judgement until I havent had BBQ smells in my face. I never really like what I cook right after I cook it. It could also be that I didnt quite fully render all of it. Or maybe the injection masked the difference. May require further experimentation.

I got it at Mcgonigle's in KC. They had Berkshire St Louis spares on sale for $1.99/lb when I was there - really kicking myself for not taking advantage.

Marbling was nice and the raw meat as a whole was a deeper red than you normally see in commodity.

I’ve heard mcgonigals and Bichelmeyers are both great places to get heritage breed pork. $1.99 for SLC’s is a steal.

If you are out in Olathe anytime check out the KC grilling store. They carry SRF and have a great selection of rubs and sauces, on par with KC BBQ store.

To be fair I didnt make a plate of it yet or anything, just sampling as I pulled it. I should probably reserve judgement until I havent had BBQ smells in my face. I never really like what I cook right after I cook it. It could also be that I didnt quite fully render all of it. Or maybe the injection masked the difference. May require further experimentation.

I got it at Mcgonigle's in KC. They had Berkshire St Louis spares on sale for $1.99/lb when I was there - really kicking myself for not taking advantage.

Marbling was nice and the raw meat as a whole was a deeper red than you normally see in commodity.

I hear you totally! If I can swing it, while the meat is resting I jump into the shower before eating to wash off all the smoke especially from my hair. "BBQ clothes" straight into the hamper with brand new clothing on. Then it's time to eat otherwise I can't eat and people scarfing my q down looking at me like I'm crazy for not eating my own bbq. :laugh:

Back