THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D

ddog27

I was shopping in Wal-mart and I saw that they have frozen ducks in with the frozen chicken and turkeys. I was wondering if anyone had ever smoked a duck, beer can chicken style? Any other tips for smoking a duck?

I've done ducks on the smoker and they are great. I ahve not done them beer-can style. I modify and combine two of Paul Kirk's recipes and do it Asian style with a glaze. They are very fatty and you really need to trim what you can. I smoke them at around 250/275* for 4 or 5 hours and finish them up on a grill. The only real usable meat is in the breasts, with some in the legs. People really like it. I've used expensive fresh ducks from a specialty market, and cheap frozen ducks from the super market and their is no noticeable difference. I tend to prepare them when I have a certain Asian friend coming over, because she grew up in a restaurant, and carved her first duck at the age of 5. She makes a much nicer presentation and use of a scarce resource than i can. You should give it a try.

Just watch the fat drippings, they catch fire very easy. Do them just like you would a chicken, farm raised duck tastes much the same.

I like smoked duck & Cajun sausage and use it in gumbo. Haven't duck hunted in a while so thinking about trading some BBQ to a co-worker's hubby for a couple of ducks this winter.

Back