Been a While

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Hey everybody! Just checking back in from my hiatus. It's been a wild past year but things are finally settling down and getting back to something resembling normal.
We've taken the past year to get ourselves back on our feet financially, mentally and physically and things are great! I started a new job in October that doesn't involve being gone all the time, my wife has settled into her job and we've both started rediscovering the things we used to enjoy. I've built a cinderblock smoker, a UDS, a "wok" out of a John Deere plow disk, and if monsoon season ever ends in Illinois I want to start on an outdoor woodfired pizza oven. I also set my Weber kettle in a stainless steel prep table so I've got room to work next to the grill.
It's been a year since I closed the barbecue trailer and the stress relief has been substantial. I loved cooking for people but the workload was just too much and the financial/mental strain was more than we wanted to bear. We learned we greatly prefer the stability of steady income and predictable hours with free time to do the other things we enjoy. We're happy.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back in here more often and seeing what everyone else has been up to while sharing what I'm up to!
Right now I've got a pair of pork tenderloins, a small tri-tip and some chicken on the UDS and it's going to be great!

IMG_20200703_123657809.jpg

Great to see you back, Kevin, and even better to hear that things are going very well for you and your family. You know you were missed, so you have to make up for it by posting some cooks and it looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome back, brother!!

Great to see you back, Kevin, and even better to hear that things are going very well for you and your family. You know you were missed, so you have to make up for it by posting some cooks and it looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome back, brother!!

Some of my posts may throw you off a bit. I have a coworker who's a vegan so I've actually been working on learning to smoke vegan foods. I've got a couple of decent tofu recipes going along with smoking spaghetti squash and a few other vegetables. Don't worry though, I'm still firmly in the carnivore camp!

Good to see you back and glad that things have settled down and are more enjoyable.

Did you keep your Meat Monster? I still see it in your sig. I always liked seeing cooks on it.

Some of my posts may throw you off a bit. I have a coworker who's a vegan so I've actually been working on learning to smoke vegan foods. I've got a couple of decent tofu recipes going along with smoking spaghetti squash and a few other vegetables. Don't worry though, I'm still firmly in the carnivore camp!

Good to see you posting again.
Be interested in the Tofu when you get going,cooked well I love it
Cooked bad i find it disgusting

I hear ya brother. The older I get the more I realize the importance of quality time with family and friends.

Glad to see you back! Guess I can stop looking for you in every DOT truck that I pass. Your BBQ was damn good, so it was sad when you closed up-but I do get it. I think about your brisket and mac and cheese often.

The brisket I had from your trailer is still some of the best I've had. I've been making your Ranchilli sauce for tacos. Everyone here loves it. Glad you're doing well.

Kevin, Glad to see things have settled down for you and you are able to enjoy the Art of the Que again without the headaches!!
Looking forward to you future cooks!

Good to see you back and glad that things have settled down and are more enjoyable.

Did you keep your Meat Monster? I still see it in your sig. I always liked seeing cooks on it.

No, the Meat Monster is gone. I thought about trying to keep it but couldn't justify it when it's just my wife and I. I built the cinderblock smoker in case I need to cook a bigger meal for family, but my Weber and the UDS get the vast majority of work now. I absolutely love my UDS!

Glad to see you back and all is going well. If you can would you post some pics of your Weber kettle that you built into a prep table. Enjoy the 4th.
Tom

Glad to see you back and all is going well. If you can would you post some pics of your Weber kettle that you built into a prep table. Enjoy the 4th.
Tom

Sure! I didn't bother to mount it permanently, that way I can take it out to clean it and things like that. I basically just cut a hole in the table and set the grill in it.

IMG_20200601_160743626.jpg

No, the Meat Monster is gone. I thought about trying to keep it but couldn't justify it when it's just my wife and I. I built the cinderblock smoker in case I need to cook a bigger meal for family, but my Weber and the UDS get the vast majority of work now. I absolutely love my UDS!
Drum smokers are nice. I have a PBC which puts out some good food. I would love to get a Hunsaker smoker some day.

Drum smokers are nice. I have a PBC which puts out some good food. I would love to get a Hunsaker smoker some day.

I had a lot of fun building my own and it cost me about $75. We have a Pepsi plant about 40 minutes away that sells food-grade barrels for $7. I'm already thinking about things I'll do different on my next one to make it more efficient.

Back