Beef Short Ribs APL Style (Pron)

Yes, yes you do. I can give you the recipe for my sweet and spicy pickles. They work really well with the recipe.
Yes Please!

I highly recommend the book. It is a great tool to get an insight to how APL thinks about cooking. He also basically walks you through a butchers case and gives recipes for a majority of the cuts of meats. He also has a bunch of side dishes as well.

It is a great read, great learning tool, and great resource.
Just picked it up - been looking it over...

Yes, yes you do. I can give you the recipe for my sweet and spicy pickles. They work really well with the recipe.

Let's have it! :hungry:

on edit - just saw that^^^^ - looking forward to it - thanks!

Ooooohhh nice!

They look superb man!

Going to have to give it a go - Got a big bag of Île de Ré Fleur De Sel, I picked up whilst on vacation in France last year - Been wondering what to do with it - Thanks for the inspiration!

Ooooohhh nice!

They look superb man!

Going to have to give it a go - Got a big bag of Île de Ré Fleur De Sel, I picked up whilst on vacation in France last year - Been wondering what to do with it - Thanks for the inspiration!

Use the Fleur De Sel an any beef you slice. After you slice, use a little as a finishing salt. It really elevates the flavor.

Also works really well in salted carmel

Use the Fleur De Sel an any beef you slice. After you slice, use a little as a finishing salt. It really elevates the flavor.

Also works really well in salted carmel

Thanks man - I've had it in the cupboard for a while; used it for the odd bit of seasoning, but that's all. Top tip!

Looking forward to checking out your pickle recipe too!

The basis of the sweet and spicy pickle I used is from an Asian style pickled carrots/dikon.

Pickle liquid - combine ingredients and bring to a quick boil.
1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (can use ganulated sugar)
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
3 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
a couple squirts of siracha sauce.
2 whole star anise (i omitted this as I didn't think the anise flavor would go well with the beef short ribs)

This will cover approximately 2lbs of julienned carrots, so you kind of approximate how much cucumber it can cover all the way. Typically you want to give it a couple days of soak time before eating, but this was a last minute thing for me, so I had it in the liquid for approx 6 hours. I use my roommates tupperware to store the veggies in the fridge and so I am not sure how many canning jars it will fill.

I have more cucumbers sitting in the pickling liquid to soak up the goodness since I have a couple more short ribs left to eat.

Carrots, Dikon, and onions do really well with this pickling liquid and pair really well with items like bibimbap, bulgogi, anything that you can think of that could use a nice bright acidity to cut through sweetness or richness of dishes.

I had the opportunity to eat them beef ribs from APL twice and I bought his cookbook.
Your ribs looked great!

Now it's my turn to try beef ribs!
Thanks for sharing!:thumb:

Awesome! I priced some short ribs to try last week, I can buy steaks a lot cheaper at the moment so I passed on them for now. Anyone notice bacon really jumped in price this week! Holy cow! I new it going to happen soon, just did not expect it this quick. If it did not jump in your area yet, stock up now!

Awesome! I priced some short ribs to try last week, I can buy steaks a lot cheaper at the moment so I passed on them for now. Anyone notice bacon really jumped in price this week! Holy cow! I new it going to happen soon, just did not expect it this quick. If it did not jump in your area yet, stock up now!

I don't know how much they sell the short ribs for where you are at, but they go for $4.99/lb typically here, a good ribeye, ny strip, or fillet mignon will run over $7.99/lb on sale. Granted I spend quite a bit of money because I will buy a whole cryovac that has between 2-4 plates of beef ribs.

You can pick up a small 1-2lb pack as most places will cut the bones down to much smaller pieces so they are affordable to the masses and less intimidating than a whole plate.

Back