Beef Ribs, Italian Potatoes and Chocolate Chip Crescents

VA-Dave

Full Fledged Farker
Greetings Brethren,

A little history before the pics:

Almost a year ago, I discovered this website and lurked for months taking in info and techniques shared by all of you good folks. Up until my first real smoke, I did ribs in the oven and Pulled Pork in the crockpot and really believed that it was "Q."

Fast forward a couple of months and I dug out an old Aussie that I used to grill burgers on, and did my first rack of ribs (Baby Backs) on it using the indirect method with kroger lump charcoal. They were the best ribs I had ever tasted. A month or so later, I saw a CL ad for a Brinkman Gourmet for 30 bucks and snatched it up right away. This thing is great for pork butt in spite of the fact that there is no vent at the top.

Here are the Aussie and the Brinkman:

P1010040_zps0865bddf.jpg

Anyway, I felt embarrassed posting my "sub par" cookers and decided to make a trip to Home Depot and grab a couple of things. I am now the proud owner of a OTG 22.5, a Smokey Joe Silver, and a charcoal chimney:

P1010038_zps783b71ea.jpg

Lets fire this thing up. It's my first time with a charcoal chimney and I admit I was clueless. I'm using Kingsford Blue for this smoke and I normally use lump. Someone here (I wish I could remember who) posted a tip about using 91% Isopropyl alcohol to start lump with and let me tell you, it works great. However, it does not work with briquettes. So, I read up on it, grabbed some newspaper (I hate working with burning newspaper) and gave it a shot. I had my doubts, but here it is (Joe wanted to help):

P1010044_zps892581ec.jpg

I am really impressed with the charcoal chimney:

P1010045_zps0d5ae112.jpg

Here are the Beef ribs with salt, pepper and garlic powder:

P1010041_zpsaf136a90.jpg

On the Weber:

P1010046_zpsa2b12d90.jpg

After an hour and a half:

P1010052_zps698e88d4.jpg

Time to get the Italian potatoes going. Diced up a 5 pound bag of red potatoes:

P1010056_zps24cf7a7d.jpg

Par boil them for 10 minutes so they absorb the seasoning and butter better. Sprinkle some Good Seasons Italian Dressing into the bottom of the pan first:

P1010057_zps9a92b7a8.jpg

Dump the par boiled reds into the pan and finish off the first packet of Good Seasonings. Open the second packet and sprinkle that on as well:

P1010067_zps136fc1ab.jpg

Add the slices of butter (about a stick and a half):

P1010062_zps89a22845.jpg

Cover with foil, in the oven at 350 for about 35 minutes. Take them out of the oven and broil them until they reach your desired brownness:

P1010069_zps9a072118.jpg

Started a simple dessert, crescent rolls with chocolate chips:

P1010049_zpsd32c22ce.jpg

Poured the chef a drink:

P1010065_zpsf95c434a.jpg

Rolled the chocolate chips up in the crescents and pinched the ends:

P1010050_zpscd46ad7b.jpg

Pulled the ribs off the cooker:

P1010070_zps29d271ef.jpg

P1010071_zpsb239355f.jpg

Pulled dessert out of the oven:

P1010053_zps1008eb7a.jpg

P1010074_zps3238620d.jpg

Plated pic with pepperoncini:

P1010073_zps18a6b47d.jpg

These were the best beef ribs I have done to date. The Italian potatoes are always outstanding and the pepperoncini really compliments the ribs.

I love the OTG so far. Feel a little more professional, but have a long way to go.

Thanks for looking folks.

Dave

Last edited:
I've not seen beef back ribs split down the middle like that before. Whatever works tho! :)

Back ribs are probably my fav right now... with short ribs being a close second. I love the fact you didn't put sauce on 'em. For me, I say master a nice simple dry rub cook before you add that 2nd layer.

I've not seen beef back ribs split down the middle like that before. Whatever works tho! :)

Back ribs are probably my fav right now... with short ribs being a close second. I love the fact you didn't put sauce on 'em. For me, I say master a nice simple dry rub cook before you add that 2nd layer.

I really wasn't sure why they were cut like that, but it doesn't matter. They cook the same anyway.

I'm a dry rub guy and beef ribs have so much flavor that I don't want to cover it up. I'll never sauce beef ribs.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Good lookin ribs man! Nice cookers too- can't go wrong with Webers. Now all you gotta do is build a mini WSM out of that Smokey Joe! Welcome to the fold.

Nice cooking and nice pix! I see a long a beautiful life ahead with your Webers! I like your approach to the beef ribs - let the beef do the talking. :thumb:

Dave everything looks delicious!! Thank you for the potato recipe too, I will give it a try. :thumb:

Back