THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ac30

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I'm cooking up a couple of racks of St. Louies tomorrow for the Bills game and I also want to do a couple of racks of beef ribs too. (Not the short ribs, but the long babies from a prime rib). I'm a beef rib virgin...
Is there any reason they should cook any different from the spares? I usually go 3-2-1. Will that work for the "Brontasaurus" ribs too?
Thanks in advance as you guys always come thru with the best advise!

I treat it the way I treat a brisket.

1 part salt
1 part course ground pepper
1/4 part garlic

Throw them on the heat at 300 and let them go. If the bark starts getting to dark I'll wrap, if not I'll go nekkid.

I prod them with a bamboo skewer and check for the consistency of a done brisket. Then I pull them off the smoker. Let them vent off heat for 15-20mins, then put foil over them and into the oven (that is off) to rest for 45mins-1hour.

Last edited:
I usually do beef ribs LnS. 225 for almost 10 hours. I know it's a long time but they come out awesome. My wife (who's a Texas transplant) says there the best she's ever had, so I don't mess with the system.

No need to foil either the pork or beef spares, just cook at 275-300 till done its that easy. What type of pit are you using?

I have a horizontal offset. Father's day gift from the kids. I usually cook my spares between 250 and 275 (like you can stay constant on an offset), and foil with a little apple juice works well for me. I'll try the beef ribs without foil. I have 3 full racks so I thought I'd sauce one for the last hour. I'm looking forward to this.
Nice of you folks to help out.

Back