Beef chuck roast. Angus beef. Cooking advice/help

Farking NAILED it!

Thanks Guerre,
Tell me what you think. That goes for anyone that would love to give input on this cook.

Altho the stew had a good flavor to it (and the Family has been enjoying leftovers today) the texture seemed to get to mushy to me. Its like everything broke down as opposed to having your carrots, mushrooms, celery etc in the stew. What did I do wrong and how do I prevent this from happening?

Just for the record I have never made a stew before so this was a throw it in the pot and see what happens cook.

Thanks Guerre,
Tell me what you think. That goes for anyone that would love to give input on this cook.

Altho the stew had a good flavor to it (and the Family has been enjoying leftovers today) the texture seemed to get to mushy to me. Its like everything broke down as opposed to having your carrots, mushrooms, celery etc in the stew. What did I do wrong and how do I prevent this from happening?

Just for the record I have never made a stew before so this was a throw it in the pot and see what happens cook.

For a throw it an and see what happens cook I'd say it came out most excelently from the look. Not being able to judge the textures though...

Chuck will break down to mush if you let it, veggies too and it's easy to let it get that way in a braise or stew, which may not be a bad thing depending on what you want. I didn't want mine immersed in liquid so they were about half way in on the pic I posted. The taters sat on top too because I wanted to good browning. I also started checking texture after they hit 180 and I decided to pull them for slicing around 190. But, I was looking for a roast as opposed to a stew. I've also smoked chucks to about 160~170 then pulled off the cooker to use in different dishes where they'll continue to cook, as in a shepherds pie or chili.

I've also been cooking chuck roasts for over 30 years too so I take lotsa stuff for granted and never write stuff down...:doh:

Here's another one I pulled at 160 or so

attachment.php

Had a few slices that night (With a pork loin)

attachment.php

Then made these. Shepherd's pie done as a pot pie:

attachment.php

Thanks Guerre,

Time + heat is all you have to think about here.
he glory of stews and casseroles is the vegetable thickened liquid so you did nthing wrong...if you want vegetables to be tender pieces at the end you can prepare them and add them at the total cooking time minus the specific vegetable cooking time.
Potatoes take longer than pumpkin and so on.
For soups I always do this and longer cooking means better tasting is a housewife myth.
Reduction is greater over time and that is what can intensifiy flavour but veges tender cannot be beaten for flavour..unless they are raw:wink:
I like the stew style very much tho so whatever you feel like :decision:

Well,
The wife keeps eating it and telling me it's awesome!!
She's real honest when it comes to my cooking so I'm very happy with this cook.

Still lots of leftovers!!!
Oh yea, I'm full too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Back