THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joshw

Babbling Farker
When I first seen the Taco TD, I thought surf and turf. Looking at the rules, they didn't have fish listed as an option. That got changed, and then I had the problem of what surf, and what turf to use. Then Sako threw a beef cheek idea at me, and that set the wheels in motion. Although, my recipe is different than his, I feel I should give him some credit for the inspiration, so if you guys want to see some more great looking tacos, here is a link to Sako's.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175060

Now on to mine, it has a lot of steps, so crack open a cold one, and enjoy.

Started with trimming up some beef cheeks. and making my barbacoa rub.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Smoked them at 220 for 4 hours.
picture.php

While they were cooking, I made some salsa roja.
picture.php

picture.php

I toasted the spices and peppers, then added half an onion, some garlic, and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. Simmered for 30 minutes then blended smooth.
picture.php

I mixed a cup of the salsa roja, a cup of beef stock, and a sliced onion to the beef cheeks, covered and put back on to braise.
picture.php

3 hours later
picture.php

While the beef was cooling, I made some chile lime shrimp.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then I roasted some tomatillos, serrano, and jalapeno peppers for some Guacamole Taquero.
picture.php

Then I made some homemade corn tortillas and pickled red onions.
picture.php

picture.php

Finally Time to assemble
picture.php

I chopped the beef cheeks, and mixed with some of the braising liquid.
picture.php

Added some shrimp
picture.php

Pickled onion
picture.php

Added some Guacamole Taquero and crema
picture.php

And finally topped with some smoked queso fresco, that I made the other day.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hope you enjoyed.

:eusa_clap I applaud you for using the word "braised" correctly!

I recently did beef cheek barbacoa and used the same spices... I found it bland. Maybe it's the amount? I think I lost most of the flavor to the stock.

Looking good, liking the flavor profile, have not smoked queso fresco "yet".

This was my first time smoking queso, it turned out pretty good. I smoked it for 6 hours with lumberjack apple pellets, and an A-maze-n tray. I think I could have actually gone longer, but I was afraid of overpowering the cheese.. Since it is a fresh cheese, it does loose some moisture, but I will do it again.

:eusa_clap I applaud you for using the word "braised" correctly!

I recently did beef cheek barbacoa and used the same spices... I found it bland. Maybe it's the amount? I think I lost most of the flavor to the stock.

Not sure, Did you only use beef stock? I went with 50/50 stock, and salsa roja. then mixed in some of the braising liquid with the chopped meat. I was pretty happy with it. Some of the best tacos, I have had. I wouldn't give up, you might just tweak your recipe some. I will say, in my experience with Authentic Mexican food, it is a little bland on it's own. They rely heavily on salsas and condiments for the flavor boost.

Not sure, Did you only use beef stock? I went with 50/50 stock, and salsa roja. then mixed in some of the braising liquid with the chopped meat. I was pretty happy with it. Some of the best tacos, I have had. I wouldn't give up, you might just tweak your recipe some. I will say, in my experience with Authentic Mexican food, it is a little bland on it's own. They rely heavily on salsas and condiments for the flavor boost.

I used a recipe that claimed to be authentic, so maybe it was bland to begin with. The only difference is I didn’t add any salsa roja to the braising liquid. Just the cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, and beef broth (not stock).

Back