Beef, Bird, and Bones - Cook recap with pRon

Beer/Meat/Victory

Full Fledged Farker
Since joining this forum and getting back into the meat smoking game earlier this year I have learned so much just from reading these threads, so big thanks to everyone involved. I am admittedly terrible at remembering to make multiple pics (or even pics at all) during my cooks, but here are a few with a recap of the cook. Time frame is over the last month.

I learned it by watching you! Seriously... Reverse seared Tri Tip on a 22" Kettle cragislist find ($25 so I had to get it!). I used weber charcoal baskets and decided to just try a semi-snake method on each basket positioned on the edges with the meat in the middle. One of the baskets actual did not stay lit, but it was a good thing because the kettle settled in nicely at 280.
20170826_183714

At the sear - I dumped the unlit coals back in a chimney to really get them going and then moved the baskets for a good sear.
20170826_192717

Final product. My knife skills need work but man was this tasty. I did purposely go a little closer to medium as my company preferred it that way and I'm not terribly picky unless its well done.
20170826_195534

Next up - Spare Ribs. I did 2 racks this time but only snapped photos of one. One rack was done un-sauced which is how I prefer them, then other a little closer to competition style with a mess of brown sugar and glazed with sweet sauce (pictured). Rub was SM Cheery. Done on 22.5" WSM at 250. Roughly 5 hours start to finish.
20170827_180819

I hacked these up quick, and instead of trying for a better cut and photo op I rolled with this. I was hungry!
2017-08-28_09-26-58

After reading about folks using the vortex/kettle combo for awesome wings I really wanted to give it a go, but I didn't have a Vortex. Out come the charcoal baskets again in hopes that it would be a little similar. In the end they were nicely browned and semi-crisp to bite through skin depending on the wing I still might throw down for a vortex to see if there is a difference (or next time Ill just cook slightly longer). I have no idea on the temp, and thats a hunk of Cherry for a bit of flavor.
Untitled

Sauced on a paper plate. Just some store bought wing sauce.
Untitled

Finally - Sunday Night/Monday Morning cook - 16lb Choice Brisket from restaurant Depot. Only got the one pic, but it was one of the best I've done. I cooked about 2 Briskets a month since about March because it is my favorite BBQ food, and I want to get better at it. After using a few different rubs I like the SPOG method best. Lately I've had luck applying the rub about 4-5 hours before throwing on the WSM.

This brisket, like many of my previous, have been done overnight with long rests as I am becoming a huge fan of getting the meat done with plenty of time for clean up and whatnot before friends come over. I typically go about 235-240 with approx time for the meat on the Pit around 10pm. I do use a Digi-Q on overnights so I can sleep a little more free of worry (I know, I know...you don't need one with a WSM but I like using it for peace of mind). Woke up about 6am, which is the longest I've slept on an overnighter, and lifted the lid for the first time. Color looked good so I wrapped in butcher paper also increased temp to 250 but the first burp of oxygen had it running about 265 for an hour or so. Probed at this time and temp was at 181 and rising steadily, so I guess I slept through the stall. Checked at 194, still a bit tough but moving along. At 9:45 I checked again probing for tenderness and sure enough it seemed done. Temp was 197 and I trusted my feel to pull a little earlier than my last 2 briskets that were ever so slightly overdone. Not exactly like "Butta" as some suggest, but just the slightest, smallest amount of resistance and grab. Quite possibly starting to get this Brisket thing down and my confidence is rising. Passed the pull test, and tasted so good. Wish I had more pics but here's the one I took before it got mowed down by well lubricated friends.

Untitled

Back