THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hhmmmmm .... but no logo ! Gas ~ $120., overnight at my daughter's place $0. son-in-law smokes (NO, ... not Q), future cooks ...priceless !

Hey Brother Bigmista! .... you are very kind to share that private info. I can now see some of the issues ($160. + $120. + misc.) starts to get me close to a 'base' model BDS. Clearly, the leverage comes with being able to have my local weld shop do the job (given solid plans and a good drum).

It will cost me $75. for a 17H new drum (delivered) so you have a treasure there with your fabricator ! ($85. extra materials and labor ... wow!)

Regards,

Many thanks.

Tom,

I use a BDS and love it. I have one of the newer models and Rocky is a great guy and easy to get a hold of. When I did my first cook on it (2 butts) I was freaking out over all of the white smoke it was producing. It was only the grease dripping on the hot coals (Kingsford). It gave it a hard for me to describe taste that I have only had once in a Texas joint.

The best things about the BDS are it holds temps better than my old WSM. The taste of your Q. It will go 12+ hours on a load of fuel. Everything I cook in it is done faster because of the direct heat. I can fit 3 whole racks of spares laid flat. The only downsides are it is it is bigger and heavier than a WSM.

The BDS is a drill and bolt product with no welds. I am on the look out for a stainless drum and will be building one myself someday.

D.B.

You guys got me sold. I'm a tinkerer so will have to build it myself. I won't pirate that ultra cool logo either. I do have scruples.

Bigmista said:
The drive would probably cost you more than the smoker.

Noah, there is welding involved. The charcoal pan, the ash pan, the grate brackets, the handles (something I added on to make it easier to move), the door, and the lid has to be cut. My lid fits into the barrel instead of sitting on top. It's harder to take off, but it doesn't leak either.

Here are the sketches I took to the welder:
Everything welded could be bolted together. Not as pretty, but just as functional for those who cannot weld.

Yep, no welding at all, well the transport ring that holds the lid tight when hauling has a couple of welds, but that is a stock item on drums.

I did weld up a prototype shelf for my polders, plugs and wiggle rod. Now I'm thinking about a larger, curved one matching the contour of the drum, maybe 1/3 of the way around?? I'm thinking maybe removable. Any ideers?

25bbadff.jpg

~thirdeye~

thirdeye said:
Yep, no welding at all, well the transport ring that holds the lid tight when hauling has a couple of welds, but that is a stock item on drums.

I did weld up a prototype shelf for my polders, plugs and wiggle rod. Now I'm thinking about a larger, curved one matching the contour of the drum, maybe 1/3 of the way around?? I'm thinking maybe removable. Any ideers?
~thirdeye~

Redwood shelf for the asthetics?
EDIT: I think you said you have access to stainless expanded metal? That would look kind of cool too!

Kevin said:
Redwood shelf for the asthetics?
EDIT: I think you said you have access to stainless expanded metal? That would look kind of cool too!

Yep, I have some expando stashed in the workshop. I also have a ring rolling toy that can roll 1/4" rod or up to 3/4" flat into full or partial rings, so that is an option too. I'm playing with stainless rod now for a project at work. Good thing I ordered extra, so some could follow me home.

Keep the ideers comming

Bigmista said:
I'm really happy with the handles in mine. Much easier to move around.

You bet, handles are on the list. Now I just use a dolly which works good for only one person, or for going down steps, but it's a long way up to the bed of the pickup.

Q_Egg said:
.... I searched and found only one site (which I guess might be the 'original') @ bigdrumsmokers.com. Shipping will probably kill me (from NC), but I worry about lots of dumb mistakes if I try to have one fabricated here in my small town. Is this pretty straightforward, or do I just bite the bullet and go for one of these? If so, and since I do not typically cook for even medium size groups, is there a huge advantage for the two grate version or do I just pick one of the single grate 'base models' ? Finally, can these cook with wood or is there a fundamental design diiference for the stick burners?

Sorry to depart a bit, but you guys should certainly be a good source for me on this BDS topic.
I can get a new 17H drum from SLC for $52. plus shipping (probably another $25.).

Regards,
Build it yourself. It really is straight forward and very easy. All ya need is the drum, drill w/bits, nuts, bolts and grates... Took me maybe 2 hours to build my drum pit and that included beer breaks! The other thing I did that really improved the burn time for my barrel was to take a spare Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal ring that I had and wired it to the charcoal grate. Works great with long burn times...

Try it you'll like it!

James.

Very tempting James B !! I have a line on a new 55 gal drum (17H) but don't have a clue on: number of lower and upper draft holes, what size holes, 'ideal' position of grates from top and bottom, how to remove and 'finish' top lid, etc, etc. Are there generic plans for this stuff somewhere?

I really hate to guess at this stuff and end up with a funky imitation that just doesn't work.

Back