BBQ'd Shrimp.... New Orleans Style

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
I hadn't made this in a long time. Brought some fresh gulf shrimp home from Galveston with this dish in mind.

This is the basic recipe but I change it up sometimes, depending on what I have on hand.
This time I used PookieG DaYum seasoning in place of the chili powder. Loved it!!

For the sauce....
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of chili powder
two pinches each of
thyme
basil and
oregano
1 1/2 to 2 TBS liquid crab boil
1 1/2 TBS dijon mustard
about 1/2 tsp tabasco or hot sauce
2 sticks of butter (or more)

abfcc3cb-48b0-4b97-bf99-73c63b0025ad_zpsbpau8yp4.jpg

fried a bit of bacon...removed the bacon for topping later.

facde06c-2d91-43fe-afc8-f22c3ad73dfd_zps6viwjzvc.jpg

added the rest of the ingredients to the bacon drippings and let it simmer for about 10 minutes..

54a69938-3810-4fc9-b2b0-fec2ee8b475e_zpskrqdkot6.jpg

5c8cfc1e-5356-477b-9737-95ccc464352b_zpsjfxvdlyn.jpg

stirred the shrimp in to coat...

d3ef7c48-2991-4bb0-9c82-2c75ed98d069_zpseqz02cnl.jpg

and into the drum til heated through... I stirred it a couple of times too.

6e4ad276-6cd5-4e9a-b28d-f022d98d0d8e_zpswebao1dg.jpg

faa4b8bd-146f-460a-a5e3-953f2d0cb930_zpsj6mxgx6h.jpg

heated a loaf of bread...

2275d8f0-9b64-4de4-8fd8-535f46e3fea1_zpscps0pnog.jpg

my spicy BBQ'd shrimp and hot bread....

23a4571a-7e8b-4f1b-b72c-6b998ccc3994_zpsqzjnkbky.jpg

Served with cold beer and plenty of napkins....

079a1c7e-57c7-48aa-bc86-9c4073fe5169_zpsbfhef6bh.jpg

I love this stuff. The bread is great for soakin' up the juices...

67c1408c-d219-4384-a81e-64ff3afe46b7_zpszqqrshnm.jpg

This is a messy dish but I don't mind the butter and juices running down to my elbows while I peel the shrimp. lol I'm washable.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Wiping the drool off of my keyboard. Reminds me of a visit to New Orleans. Fresh shrimp doesn't happen very often near Lake Superior.

Thank you BigLakeSmoker! I bet you have some great fresh walleye up your way. I love em!! :grin:

Damn Girl! Is there a dish that you CAN't cook? Everything I've ever seen you post has me wanting to lick my monitor. OUTSTANDING! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Damn Girl! Is there a dish that you CAN't cook? Everything I've ever seen you post has me wanting to lick my monitor. OUTSTANDING! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thank you! You're very kind!

Looks great Jeanie! Reminds me of a restaurant in Marina Del Rey called Killer Shrimp.

Awesome

Oh man those look good. So yummy when you have real shrimp cooked in the shell. That farmed stuff doesn't even come close. I was fortunate to find some gulf shrimp a few weeks back and was given a complement that said those were the best BBQd shrimp they ever tasted...

Looks great Jeanie! Reminds me of a restaurant in Marina Del Rey called Killer Shrimp.

Charles, I bet those were tasty! Thank you! :grin:

Oh man those look good. So yummy when you have real shrimp cooked in the shell. That farmed stuff doesn't even come close. I was fortunate to find some gulf shrimp a few weeks back and was given a complement that said those were the best BBQd shrimp they ever tasted...
I agree with you, gulf shrimp is mighty fine! I'm not fond of the store bought farmed stuff either. Has a strange texture to it. When I can, I raise my own... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/11/raising-your-own-shrimp.html They're tasty...but when the weather is too dry, I'm like you, I hit the gulf for shrimp. Thanks so much for the kind comment!

Look- La- La! Awesome!

Thank you Gerry! :grin:

Looks brilliant and a great choice of Beer.
My wife would elbow you out for a plate of that

Jeanie these shrimp look fantastic.....but I couldn't eat my way to the bottom of the bowl fast enough so I could sop up all that juicy goodness with the bread! YUM

That looks Wonderfull!

Very cool raising your own shrimp. I did not know you could do that. Does fresh water chage the taste?

You never cease to Amaze me!

Incredible, excellent, outstanding, superb, beautiful........rewind........repeat.....rewind.........repeat!:p:mrgreen::clap2:

Holy cow, I'm running out of accolades Jeanie:drama:...........:heh:.

KC

Back