BBQ with Franklin: The Wood Pt.3

Judging from the first three videos you can tell they are really aiming this from the total n00bs perspective. I dont expect anything ground breaking in this series to be honest with you.

There are elements of pecan that some folks, mostly those that like a stron hickory smoke, do not like about pecan. They are closely related woods, and it is likely, that depending on region, there are differences in the woods. Pecan has a wider range of growth, so it is likely that is varies more. For me, the local source for pecan are very mild, but, I have bought pecan that was every bit as strong as hickory.

I also thought I saw a video somewhere where he uses white oak. He called it "post oak" in this video and I thought that "post oak" was a term for red oak.

I'm just saying that there's a difference in red and white oak. Depending on which oak he's talking about, that may also be the difference with the comparison between oak and pecan.

I also always thought pecan was a little milder than white oak. Red oak seems to have a little more flavor than white.

Of course, I could be COMPLETELY wrong here too.

Back