BBQ Triple Crown

deez butts

Full Fledged Farker
With American Pharoah winning the triple crown I was curious as to what people thought the BBQ triple crown would be. I think most people would consider the Jack and the American Royal to be two of the contests. What do people consider to be the 3rd, or do people feel there isn't a 3rd? Some contests that come to mind are Memphis in May, World Food Championship, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, any others?

All due respect to Sterling and the KOS. It is a highly respected contest and I believe the majority of that is the organization and the amenities that the 24 teams have. So in no means am I saying anything bad. I also do not want a top 100 list either.... ;) I do not think that this contest has been around long enough to be listed with these others. There isn't a criteria to get into the contest. Which it is an invitational, at least teams at the Jack have a shot, no such luck in KOS. I would probably say it should be the Big 4. Jack, AR, MIM, Houston Rodeo.

For KCBS I'd say: American Royal Invitational, the Jack, and SAMs Club National Championship.

For BBQ in general: MiM, American Royal OPEN, HLS&R

I can still see an argument for "World BBQ Championship" AND the World Food Championship.

I cant answer just 3, however I will answer with my bucket list events to either visit or compete....Houston Livestock, American Royal Invite, American Royal Open, Jack, Memphis in May....Due to prize money as a competitor I would include Sams and a couple others but to me the ones I named are ones that I have to see at least once in my life even as a spectator. I dont know that others are there YET.

I dont think it needs to be limited to just 3 contests, but win 3 "World Championships" in a year and I think you have the right to be called a triple crown winner.

for kcbs i'd say: American royal invitational, the jack, and sams club national championship.

For bbq in general: Mim, american royal open, hls&r

i can still see an argument for "world bbq championship" and the world food championship.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!!

To me mixing KCBS and MBN events is like mixing thoroughbred and standardbred (harness) racing. One isn't better than the other - they are just different.

I would say The Jack, The Royal Invitational, and Sam's Club. You have to qualify for all of them.

KOS not so much, there isn't a qualification process - Big Poppa's just picks teams they want to see. It's more like college bowl games. :becky:

WFC is a close runner up, as you have to win your way in, but the qualification process is a bit odd. It changes from year to year and some of the qualifying contests are big and some are very obscure. You could get in by winning The Royal or a NEBS grilling contest with 8 teams.

To me mixing KCBS and MBN events is like mixing thoroughbred and standardbred (harness) racing. One isn't better than the other - they are just different.

Like the "Grand Slam" in tennis: on grass in England, clay in France, and hard surface in the US.

That makes it more difficult, but the winner (if there ever would be one) would prove a mastery of more than just one style of competition and meats.

I would have to go with The Jack, American Royal Invitational and MIM as the BBQ Triple Crown.

I would call winning The Jack, American Royal Invitational, MIM and HLSR ("Majors") the BBQ Grand Slam.

My reason for putting MIM ahead of HLSR for the Triple Crown is, from what I hear, that it is almost impossible to get into unless you are a legacy team or won one of the Majors the previous year. Since HLSR is the first of the Majors in a calendar year you can't win one of the Majors to get in to complete the "Triple Crown". If I am mistaken and most teams that apply get in then I might change my order on this.

I like the idea of any team having a chance to win this hypothetical Triple Crown we created on the blog.

I would have to go with The Jack, American Royal Invitational and MIM as the BBQ Triple Crown.

I would call winning The Jack, American Royal Invitational, MIM and HLSR ("Majors") the BBQ Grand Slam.

Okay, I agree with the "Majors" that you listed in part - but what about The American Royal Open??? Competing against 550 of your closest bbq friends has got to count for something - in my opinion - a MAJOR.

ALSO, with $150,000.00 being given away in the SAMs Club National Championship, with $50,000.00 going to the Grand Champion and MANY $$$ going to each of the top 10 finishers in each category - again, in my opinion - a MAJOR.

I would say the Jack, AR, and Houston. MIM is a completely different type of competition and the other 3 are about the same type of venue.

Okay, I agree with the "Majors" that you listed in part - but what about The American Royal Open??? Competing against 550 of your closest bbq friends has got to count for something - in my opinion - a MAJOR.

ALSO, with $150,000.00 being given away in the SAMs Club National Championship, with $50,000.00 going to the Grand Champion and MANY $$$ going to each of the top 10 finishers in each category - again, in my opinion - a MAJOR.

I have no good argument why I choose the Invitational over the Open other than the smaller number of teams make it slightly (very slightly?) less of a crap shoot to win. I don't think you could go wrong choosing either one as a major but it did seem odd to include both. This is just my opinion.

For me Sam's just doesn't have the history to move into the category of a Major. I appreciate the contest and prize pool but without a long-term commitment from Sam's that it will continue it is hard to give it the same status as the others. I think we all will be waiting once again in November to see if we are going to get a 2016 Sam's National BBQ Tour while I have no doubt the other contests will be happening.

Back