BBQ Trailer theft protection

Uno_Mas

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi Brethren

I've got a question for those of you with trailer pits. What are y'all doing to help guard against theft? I'm getting ready to pick up my new catering rig and am looking at the different anti-theft devices out there, I've seen several different locks for the bulldog hitch but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your input. Also, I'm looking into some sort of gps tracking device. LoJack only seems to work in certain areas, does anyone use something like this that they would recommend?

Thanks in advance
Troy

Although I don't own a trailer mounted pit, I have installed security on racing (car/motorcycle) trailers and some governmental vehicles with specialized applications.

There are several options you can put into place, some work well and others are easily defeated.

The simplest is the hitch lock, this basically keeps an honest person honest. These can be defeated by cutting the lock, or on some lighter weight trailers the latch or tongue can be unbolted from the trailer and the crook can just bolt a new one on, or just securely chain to their truck just to get it out of sight. Any chain, lock, or cable can be easily cut no matter where you place it. You have to remember that the majority of these thieves are not amateurs because this is a specialized market or they cut it into scrap and they have probably done this many times before. Statistics show very few are ever recovered, so your best defense to to realize someone will attempt to steal it at some point.

Anther option is if the trailer is parked at a building with a security system, the use of a magna-pull can be incorporated into the security system. A magnetic receptacle is mounted on the trailer on the closest point to the building. If it is not parked near a building you can trench to a post and mount the pigtail in a waterproof box. Once the trailer is parked in place, the armored pigtail is inserted into the magnetic receptacle and the alarm can be activated. If the unit is moved the armored pig tail pulls loose and triggers the alarm, if the pigtail is cut the alarm also triggers. This works extremely well with alarms that allow partitioning of the security system, that way the rig can remain armed even when the building is disarmed.

Another option is that if the rig has it's own 12vdc power source you can install a simple security system with shock and leveling sensors. If the unit is tilted or is hit hard (like dropping on a ball or Pintle hook) the alarm will sound.

Most importantly, a good high resolution camera system in the building can lead to prosecution and quick recovery. But use great caution in not buying a cheap system here, there are many poor units out there.

Another option is the GPS Tracking alarm. There are many out there, Uplink, Find it Now USA, ect.... Again the unit would have to have it's own 12vdc power source to work. When the unit is tilted or moved it will send a text message that motion has been sensed. Using a computer or calling the company can give you the exact location of your unit. These can even be programed to send a message once a day, and included with the message is the location of the unit. Annual subscription costs are about $60.00 - $70.00 per year complete.

Incorporating several of these into your unit make an even greater level of security. Think of security as an onion, there are many layers of security to employ.

Magna-Pull Contact

Video security day mode as seen through a remote computer or cell phone.
nvr3_zpsdvyi8wcp.jpg

Video security night mode as seen through a remote computer or cell phone.
nvr_zps6ay8ut1h.jpg

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
No bbq trailer but....have a car trailer and a utility trailer. Don't remember the name them but I have a lock from Masterlock that sits inside the coupler...and a lock that lockshe the coupler lever down. When we lived in AZ I also used to run a very heavy chain thru each set of wheels and used a heavy lock on each side. If someone really wants your stuff they are going to do whatever necessary to get it.

Have the tongue modified so that the ball receiver is a separate piece. You put a flange plate on the trailer tongue that has a receiver hitch opening in it. The ball receiver has the male tang mounted to it. Once you park the pit you slip off the ball receiver and replace it with a blank flange that has a tang that will accept a security no shackle lock and a plate for the backside. When the flange is in place the the rear plate will and lock will make it more trouble that any thief wants to deal with for fear of getting caught.

Locks keep honest people honest but are easily defeated by thieves, by removing the towing apparatus you defeat the criminal causing him to move on.

Thanks so much for the responses, I will definitely be going multi layer security any y'alls real world experience was what I'm looking for. Iammadman, thanks for the input on the gps devices as I'm not too familiar with what's out there and what works and what doesn't. I'll look in to your suggestions. Thanks for all the input!

I live in a pretty high crime area and use the hitch locks. My trailer is insured, and I think the hitch lock seems to be enough to deter the majority of thieves. Would love to add a wheel boot as well.

Thugs run through at night at quick check doors. Had our vehicles ran through a couple times, and the scary thing is we lock 99% of the time. Makes me wonder how often this is happening just to be a coincidence

Back