BBQ to go!

AR Pork Producer

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm wanting to smoke some meat at home to take to my sons' house. He lives one and a half hour away. I'm thinking about a 10 pound boston butt with bone in. I usually smoke these at 220 degrees yo a internal temp of 190 or so. I have a very thick styrofoam cooler that holds temp pretty good. My question is, do I need to pull the meat about 10 degrees early if I wrap and put in the cooler. I have read where it it gain about 10 degrees if you wrap and let it sit. I think the meat will still be good and warm by the time I get there. I am looking for any suggestions as I have never let meat set this long before eating. This would be easier than loading the cooker and doing it there.

AR Pork Producer

for butts-- smoke to 200 internal,double wrap in foil then a damp towel or newspaper,& into the cooler. it'll still be hot enough to burn your fingers when ya get there.no need to pull the pork off early.

blues n cue got it right there.......I travel butts to South Carolina from Florida like that all the time....and it more of a 10 hour drive,

Like the others, I've found 200 to be the target temp for butt. If that cooler is truly going to hold as well as a good plastic cooler, then pull it off the smoker around 193. If you are concerned that the syrofoam cooler may not be as good, wrap the butt in a towel then put in in the cooler.

That butt will remain hot for hours in the right holder. I usually have mine off by 9 am and hold them in an Igloo til afternoon.

Back