BBQ Pitmasters

Watching the competition ones, where they are actually in different cities/towns, makes one believe that they have a chance entering and winning a competition. I went to one today (spectator, haven't competed yet, but want to) and I tried a competition team's brisket after talking with him a bit. I said thanks and walked away. As soon as I could find a napkin, I discarded it...it was that bad. Not sure if they have separate briskets to give away to people that come up to their tents, but it was really bad.

Your post reminded me of something that happened to me in March.

Did Johnny Trigg and Rod Gray's class, and they both singled out this one older man who was also taking the class. They both went on & on about what a great cook this older guy was, and how knowledgeable he was. The guy was a comp cook they knew well. At one point, we all went out back behind the restaurant (they held the class at a restaurant) so Johnny and Rod could start their fires. They were both using hickory to smoke with. Boshizzle and I happened to be next to the older guy they'd been praising, and we were chatting about smoking woods. I mentioned that I had been using fruitwoods of late exclusively, as hickory imparted a much heavier smokey flavor, and my wife didn't care for it. So the old guy looks at me and says "hickory gives a heavier flavor than fruitwood? I never heard that before." I thought he was joking. But the next day, he sided up to me and told me he'd been discussing what I'd told him with some of the other students, and they told him I was dead on. I was stunned at how someone who was played up to be so knowledgeable wouldn't know something that basic.

I thought about it, and maybe the guy has never used fruitwoods.

Just goes to show though, and as you found out when you discarded the guys food, just because someone is comp cooking doesn't mean they're well rounded.

Maybe I need some education since I'm new to Q... What is it that people don't like about this show? I have enjoyed watching them and have learned quite a bit. I can see that a lot of the stuff they do in these competitions are a bit outside the box from a standard competition, but that's what I find interesting about the show. Lots of neat ideas and different ways to look at things.

I agree. Its a silly tv show just chillax people.

When they started judging cole slaw, potato salad, and catfish; I swore it off forever.

I really enjoyed the first go around where you got to see the real BBQ comps. I do not like the "new format" and especially hate that they send you home if you finish last in the side challenge.

Bring back the real competitions!

I think what Brothers might not understand was the absolute elation that came when the first season aired. Guys we knew and competed against and cooked with, on TV! Then came the disgust of the backlash, I won't get into that. Then there was the acceptance phase, which made us wanting more of the format.

And then, they changed it, for the worst in most of our opinions. If it would have started like it is, I think less in the community would dislike it. We were, for lack of a better word teased. But what we like didn't make good TV.

Season 2 should be called BBQ Side Masters. They have sent a lot of people packing because they couldn't cook some obscure side or exotic meat. I doubt the majority of even the top top pitmasters could pull off some of the challenges they threw at them. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I think what Brothers might not understand was the absolute elation that came when the first season aired. Guys we knew and competed against and cooked with, on TV! Then came the disgust of the backlash, I won't get into that. Then there was the acceptance phase, which made us wanting more of the format.

And then, they changed it, for the worst in most of our opinions. If it would have started like it is, I think less in the community would dislike it. We were, for lack of a better word teased. But what we like didn't make good TV.

Apparently Season II didnt either...

Is it confirmed that we are going to get a season 3?

I would think that there would be a huge indication by this group as we would see (or have seen) camera crews at comps...

I am surprised if season 2 drew more viewers. Does anyone know if season 2 appealed to anyone? How many DVD's did they sell? Season 1 is what got me hooked into this and I found the TV show entertaining. I watch most of the shows - Chopped, No reservations, Bizarre foods, Bobby Flay, Man vs Food, Top Chef, the new Sandwich show on Sunday mornings, and watching the rerun of season 2 just makes me mad. I agree with original post - watching it rerun realizing its just as bad 2nd time around. I think season 2 - takes the finer elements of what we have learned here on brethern and makes fun of us - I think its like the producer was trying to say - we know better then you what people want to see. I'd be interested to know how season 2's ratings compared to season 1. personally I turned season 2 off at the first commercial and I still cant watch it past that brown basket with the snake in it.

Back